Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a field grade 3200 in 1974. I shot trap skeet and anything that moved. I loved it for duck hunting. You could go through the brush, shoot in the rain. . I had Pat do the shell face. Not a problem with any of the wood.
What do you use in the field and why you chose that shotgun
Steve

·
Premium Member
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remington 870 that I bought 46 years ago or one of my Model 12's. Nostalgia reasons more than anything.
Didn't think about it till you mentioned it. Here in California I assume Steel won't damage it much. I bought it new for $400. That was big bucks for a college kid working in a Pizza Parlor
Steve

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
The only bird hunting I get a chance to do anymore is pheasant. I have a Sauer 16ga SxS for that, because it carries like a dream, and I've always liked SxS's, even the 2 Savage 311's I had. This Sauer feels like it's made of aluminum and balsa wood compared to the 16 ga 311 I had years ago. Does kick a bit, even with the 2 1/2" RST shells.
I also have a 1960 Model 12 with a 30" plain barrel, full choke ,or I could use or the 1100 Competition Competition, which I did a couple years ago, felt like carrying an anchor, but it dropped birds. I could take the 870 TB out too, but the Sauer is my go to pheasant gun.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
When the weather is nice in the early season I take out my Dads superposed f/m for wild roosters. Last year I ran across a group of late 20s early 30s guys asking me what type of gun it was.

Reactions: big kahuna

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
My dads 1100 trap worked real good on pheasants. A few months ago I bought an early 60s 870 20 ga like new to use and a month later my beagle passed away so that sucks.
2 Years ago I went through the losing a dog thing, its harder than most humans. That said, you brought a smile to my face, i shot a lot of birds 25 years ago behind a beagle. The only thing is you never knew what was going to flush, and you needed running shoes.

Reactions: Hoot taylor

·
Registered
443 Posts
I go to South Dakota every year and I take my 3200 trap with me. It is a great
shooter that never lets me down. I love shooting 3200’s and my daughters shoot
them for doubles.

·
Registered
120 Posts
2 Years ago I went through the losing a dog thing, its harder than most humans. That said, you brought a smile to my face, i shot a lot of birds 25 years ago behind a beagle. The only thing is you never knew what was going to flush, and you needed running shoes.
here he is... he was a good boy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
20 gauge 870 for everything from quail to turkey. Because it is light enough to carry all day, small enough to get my hand around the receiver without a bolt handle poking my palm, it shoots everything, and it doesn't seem it will ever wear out or break. Not to mention the stock fits me like Remington made it for me. I've had a bunch of pumps, autos, and O/U's, and the 870 is the only one left.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I hunted ducks and geese with my 3200 when you could use lead. Hunted pheasants with it until it became to heavy to carry all day. I still take it out for a short hunt and as a backup. Now only carry the 20 and 12 superposed lightnings. I absolutely love shooting the 3200.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I usually take my 20 ga. Citori I purchased new in 1984 for $400 with invector chokes. It was close to the first year that came with invector chokes. I have used this for many species from quail to geese.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts