Trapshooters Forum banner

When do you shoot the clay?

4125 Views 42 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  SD angler
Do you pull the trigger when the clay is cresting or wait til it is out further?
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
13,531 Posts
You should be shooting the target, while its still rising!!! Of course the longer you shoot Trap the faster you will be able to shoot the target. Do not rush the shot. Try to keep shooting at the same pace. Do not try to shoot as fast as the guy next to you does. Try to Be consistent. See target, move to target, then shoot target. break em all jeff

· Banned
1,793 Posts
"...wait til it is out further? "

Wait ? Some shoot it early, some shoot it late, but I doubt anybody "waits" to shoot it.

Shooting traveling leagues almost weekly with a couple hundred other shooters I get to observe a lot. Seeing some people habitually shoot at, or just after, the crest ... I've yet to see one of those people shoot 50 straight. Not everybody who shoots trap is destined to become a trapshooter.

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Here is information courtesy of Garmin.
I believe the times shown are from when the Garmin recognizes the target to when it breaks.
Feel free to correct me.

Audio equipment Gas Auto part Machine Display device

BTW the speed shown is accurate. This is what led me to get my loads tested by Precision.
This a what 18.8 gr of Clay's does in Rem hull with a W209 and a TGT12 wad. Precision test results confirmed the speeds. Yes. The pressure was well over the Max also.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.