Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps this should go in the shooting section. If so, mods feel free to move it.
I‘m living the early years of my seventh decade. When younger, for many years, I shot registered targets and each time I shot it was with the expectation I would run a hundred straight - because I knew I was capable. It didn’t always happen, but I felt my expectations were realistic based on past performances and my ability.
Fast forward . . . . . . I will still run an occasional straight and have hopes to do so each time I shoot. But. . . . . I can honestly say the word expectation doesn't necessarily enter my mind. Granted, I no longer shoot registered targets so the mindset of competition is largely self imposed. However, like other things, self realization of one‘s diminished capability kinda sucks.

·
Registered
Winchester model 59 first gun, Browning 725, CG Summit, one Day K gun
149 Posts
For me, competition is always self-imposed in everything I do, If I Play scrabble, horseshoes, shooting trap, and my performance at work, I always leave it all on the table and always want to improve, I never need any recognition or trophy or prize to motivate me. Im 10 years younger than you, but that's the way my parents taught me and at this point, I continue to live that way.

·
Registered
554 Posts
When I looked at my new NSSA Average Card and saw as a Starting Class - "C".
My NSSA card has gone full circle. I'm back to where I started over 30 years ago. Does it hurt? Sure, but I've gotten over it. Only shoot a small number of registered birds now. Get more enjoyment out of spending Sunday morning shooting with friends at the club. Still approach each new round with the expectation of running it but I'm OK if I don't.

·
Registered
34,867 Posts
In my entry into my 7th decade too. I went from A to D, and 19 yard line. IMy eyes are still good, but reflexes suck. I stopped offering shooting advice when I went to low B class. Now I refer to people who have written books, made videos and offer classes. I have cut way back on my registered shooting because of declining ability and the great ammo shortage.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I have the realization I’m just not that great at trapshooting. My expectations are I will become a better trapshooter. Try as I may still working to get my first 25. Been shooting almost 2 years now with a handful of 24s but yet to achieve my 25. I struggle at it but it is still fun and I believe I can do it and always will work to improve my game. It’s still fun, many great shooters met and great conversation at the clubs and leagues and I get to shoot guns several times a week. What more could I ask for? Well a 25 I guess would be nice. 😊

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
Perhaps this should go in the shooting section. If so, mods feel free to move it.
I‘m living the early years of my seventh decade. When younger, for many years, I shot registered targets and each time I shot it was with the expectation I would run a hundred straight - because I knew I was capable. It didn’t always happen, but I felt my expectations were realistic based on past performances and my ability.
Fast forward . . . . . . I will still run an occasional straight and have hopes to do so each time I shoot. But. . . . . I can honestly say the word expectation doesn't necessarily enter my mind. Granted, I no longer shoot registered targets so the mindset of competition is largely self imposed. However, like other things, self realization of one‘s diminished capability kinda sucks.
I hear you. As we grow older (and hopefully wiser) we subconsciously realize scores aren't the most important aspect of the sport. It is being out with friends and having fun. In a sense, our goals and priorities change. Nobody can stop time and its effect. The sooner we accept that, the easier it is to age gracefully. Take good care of yourself. Chichay

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
The thing that keeps me going is the goal of shooting winning score, every time I take the line. Yes abilities have diminished to some degree but the goals remain the same. I just don’t hit them as regularly as I used to.

last fall I was gong for my personal record of 500,000 registered targets, in the event that was to be accomplished, my goal was not to miss that target. I actually ran the 100, which I hadn’t done in a while, so don’t give up on your goals. My scores are like a yo-yo, up and down.

At 81 I have never taken the line without expecting to win. So stay positive, have fun and keep shooting.

Don

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Well, I do do competition shooting with friends and family, but not with total strangers. I don't understand the concept of wanting to 1-up a total stranger when it's far more rewarding to 1-up your friends and family you see everyday and can remind them about it. ;) That said, my participation in recreational shooting sports in general is just a fun hobby and like with all the rest of my hobbies, I don't take them seriously and just have fun with them. I know there's plenty of shooters out there that literally make a living winning money in competitions and take their shooting way more seriously than I care to. Nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks.

The only 2 shooting related activities that I do take seriously are home/self defense and hunting. I don't think I need to explain why I take defense shooting seriously. As far as hunting goes, I hunt purely for the meat. I couldn't care less about the whole thrill of the hunt or getting back to nature or whatever. I'm there for one reason and that is to kill something so I can have it butchered and sent back to my home where it will get put on the table. There is one really funny aspect of my hunting practices that seems to rub lots of hunters the wrong way, but still is funny to me. I mentioned above that I hunt for the meat only. I do NOT nor will I ever participate in sport/trophy hunting. I'm not against others doing it, it's just not my tea of cup that's all. Which also means I do not do hunting pics where I pose next to a dead animal because I find it really weird to pose next to your food unless it's something interesting and trust me when I say deer and rabbits are not interesting. Just because I'm a millennial doesn't mean I have to act like one and post pics of me posing with my food on Instagram or Snapchat.

Bottom line is don't let your casual hobbies run or even ruin your life. Everyday above ground is a blessing and shouldn't sweat the small stuff.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Years ago a dear old friend gave me this wisdom
"You have to realize, the competition is you beating yourself!" "Because you are the only person you can beat!" "As soon as you compare your score to mine you have lost!"

That is so true!
I have had my one hundred straights
I have won trophies
I love the competitions

But the people I have met and the friends I have made are what keeps me coming back!

Scores are marks on paper but the people the new friends are marks that touch my heart.

When I take the old friends wisdom and beat myself. When I focus on my mistakes and fix them. When I go from the D shooter I tend to be and pull a 25 or 50 to finish that is a joy. But going into the club house and enjoying good company that is the glory!

I don't really need to shoot but it is the excuse that gets me out of the house. The company is reward! And company after I shoot, poorly or well is the icing on the cake.

Al

1 - 20 of 39 Posts