Trapshooters Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Reactions: spitter

·
5,691 Posts
I shoot for pure recreation... going afield for pheasant I pull out my '54 Auto 5 with fixed choke and plain barrel with hard plastic butt plate...

When I hunt, a traditional outing means a lot to me... a button down vest, waxed cotton chaps and the pheasant drops the same... there is a degree of personal satisfaction that comes from tradition.

Before my clay rounds, I like to apply a little oil/wax to my wood stock, admire its grain and ask the gun for little extra help today...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I shoot for pure recreation... going afield for pheasant I pull out my '54 Auto 5 with fixed choke and plain barrel with hard plastic butt plate...

When I hunt, a traditional outing means a lot to me... a button down vest, waxed cotton chaps and the pheasant drops the same... there is a degree of personal satisfaction that comes from tradition.

Before my clay rounds, I like to apply a little oil/wax to my wood stock, admire its grain and ask the gun for little extra help today...
pheasant does not really care if you are wearing a button down vest or a t-shirt. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
What adds to your enjoyment of the sport? A custom walnut stock worked up by one of the best stock makers in the country? Do it. A synthetic forearmed, aluminum stocked, vinyl wrapped, recoil eliminating wonder gun? Do it. The important thing is that your out there shooting and enjoying the sport. Both guns would likely catch my eye and give me a reason to walk up and ask you about it.

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
The thread started off showing Anschutz rifles --- so I will show mine --
First: The 1813 I shot for years and sold/...

Wood Musical instrument Flooring Hardwood Automotive exterior

Next the 1913 I still shoot:

Tire Automotive tire Plant Wood Bumper

These rifles are "old school" to the younger guys but were like science fiction to us who had shot the old Winchester 75s and the SUPER Winchester 52s --- or the Rem 513Ts and Remington 40Xs...... yeah, I shot all of those -- and the old Win 52D and Rem 40X would shoot with any of them BUT - Anschutz 5018 triggers just took you to another level.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Pfftt... If your going to post a picture of an Anschutz you could at least bring it up to date. I had the Ad for the Anschutz Match 54 centerfold in The American Rifleman in my room in the 60's. That is now old school. Welcome to the new school.

Just got my new 16 ga. back from the Smith having a recoil pad fitted to it. It is a nice match to my existing 20.

Walnut and blue for me please.
And that, is what a gentleman's should look like.

·
5,691 Posts
pheasant does not really care if you are wearing a button down vest or a t-shirt. :)
You're right... and the pheasants, doves or clays could care less about the newer plastic technology... it's all about ME and ONLY ME... what I like...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
When all the old grouchy guys die
But us younger grouchy guys have learned by watching and imitating what the older grouchy guys do and use for we see what great scores they are shooting and what they are using to do it!!!

Reactions: big kahuna

·
Registered
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
86 Posts
I like walnut and most companies do a very good job of making an adjustable, good looking stock. I have a Perazzi that I had screw chokes installed for clays. It is an old, Ithaca marked trap gun. I acquired a beautiful stock, it was 1/8" too low for me to shoot well. I had an adjustable comb installed. Still looks good, and now it shoots.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have one of the 1200 AR17's made. Fiberglass wrapped aluminum barrel sleeve. Steel barrel extension and bolt.
Plastic stock and plastic forend. KICKS like a mule. I can make a "space gun" single shot with carbon wrapped steel lined barrel, aluminum receiver, polymer forend and stock. It will move fast but it will hurt. So I don't bother.

·
Registered
34,299 Posts
Best plastic for weight is BONDO.

Reactions: calpik

·
Registered
934 Posts
I love wood, the looks and feel are like nothing else, all my trap and sporting guns have upgraded wood, but my guns that I pack out in the goose blinds and in the field hunting mostly have synthetic stocks, I find the wood stocks just get nicked and beat up when they are in the field steady.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts