Trapshooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
14,793 Posts
Me too. But you can look good doing it. My prosoft does anything I need and works better than anything else I've tried, and other than the tsk, I've shot them all. I have several soft touch, 2 g square and have owned a stock lock. Pro soft is much smoother and fits me perfect. If a precision blows your dress up more power to you, their still ugly!
A PFS is also 1/3 the price of a Prosoft.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Me too. But you can look good doing it. My prosoft does anything I need and works better than anything else I've tried, and other than the tsk, I've shot them all. I have several soft touch, 2 g square and have owned a stock lock. Pro soft is much smoother and fits me perfect. If a precision blows your dress up more power to you, their still ugly!
Not just ugly, butt ugly! Grotesque!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Stefecekova shot a walnut stocked gun. 125/125 Tokyo.

So did Michael Diamond in 2012. 125/125 London.

So did James Willett when he shot 125/125 in 2019. Pellielo. Fabbrizi. Casey Wallace. Glasnovic.

If those guys and gal-who can have ANYTHING they want-shoot timber n steel, then I figure those components will do me fine.

Besides if I bought one of those plastic things Lisa would beat me to death with it.
And you would deserve it! Go Lisa.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
Polymers are not perfect. They do continue to cure after the gun is finished. For example the 1st generation of glock pistols have multiple units spitting the left rear slide lug loose because the polymer is getting brittle with age. All the plastic trigger guards used by Mossberg on .22 rifles of the 50's and 60's have shrunk up and cracked. Plastic trigger guard on the 90's Winchesters that came with a Composite stock are cracking.

I also shot all position small bore. My rifle is old and only has a few adjustments. I have shot the robo stocked Walther and Anschutz rifles. I don't believe all those aluminum bits steadied by set screws would hold up to recoil of 20,000 plus 12 qauge shels per year. International small bore allows the rifle to weigh 8 kg.(17,6 lb) Many competition rifles push pretty close to the weight limit. A little .22 rim fire really does not shake the rifle much.

Ljutic made the space gun years ago. I do not feel any disadvantage to shooting a attractive wood stock that fits me. If I did, I would be having a machinist mill me a mechanical stock.

It is an old game, hit 25. Every gun on the field can do that with the right trigger jockey.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
A PFS is also 1/3 the price of a Prosoft.
You pays your money and makes your choices. I can afford the pro soft. It feels much better than a precision fit and I've seen several posts on here about them having problems. Never heard anyone gripe about a pro soft. That said it sure works for Keith Ditto doesn't it? If you like your precision more power to you. Vern let me shoot one for a while and I could never settle in with it. Just my experience.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Polymers are not perfect. They do continue to cure after the gun is finished. For example the 1st generation of glock pistols have multiple units spitting the left rear slide lug loose because the polymer is getting brittle with age. All the plastic trigger guards used by Mossberg on .22 rifles of the 50's and 60's have shrunk up and cracked. Plastic trigger guard on the 90's Winchesters that came with a Composite stock are cracking.

I also shot all position small bore. My rifle is old and only has a few adjustments. I have shot the robo stocked Walther and Anschutz rifles. I don't believe all those aluminum bits steadied by set screws would hold up to recoil of 20,000 plus 12 qauge shels per year. International small bore allows the rifle to weigh 8 kg.(17,6 lb) Many competition rifles push pretty close to the weight limit. A little .22 rim fire really does not shake the rifle much.

Ljutic made the space gun years ago. I do not feel any disadvantage to shooting a attractive wood stock that fits me. If I did, I would be having a machinist mill me a mechanical stock.

It is an old game, hit 25. Every gun on the field can do that with the right trigger jockey.
Besides the cracking finish deterioration is a problem. Had the finish on two super x 2's go south on me. Both were shadowgrass finish. On wore of extremely fast and another peeled and chipped. The one that wore off was white plastic underneath! Used it when I was using layout blinds for snows. Didn't seem to bother them. Plastic isn't perfect!

·
Registered
469 Posts
One weapon is a rifle.
A rifle shoots a single projectile and is aimed.
The other weapon is a shotgun, when used for flying targets, shot is used as the projectile. This weapon is NOT aimed, it's pointed.
I do not know anyone, that wants a target shotgun that remotely resembles that rifle.
Amen sir!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Maybe, but based on his posting history I would bet he’s gunning for 50 posts.
Tru dat. When I get 50 I am going to buy a used Tri Star. I will remember you guys when I captain the All American team...:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
34,299 Posts
I have said it before, I would shoot the ugliest gun made, even a Kreighoff, if I shot well enough with it to reach AAA/27/AA. I can always drag a closet queen out of the safe, admire it, even shoot a round with it. I like the AR15 modular concept, add this, change out that.

It has been just a couple years less than 50 when high ribs, adjustable combs, choke tubes, combos and such made their appearance on trap fields. I remember older shooters poo pooing some of these upstart concepts. Because of a lot of these changes, it seems a requirement to shoot 100 straight to be in a shootoff.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Gun fit is cardinal. One can be lucky, and find a factory gun/stock combo that fits. I am very lucky in that regard. Over a long period of time, I have found 7 guns with factory stocks that fit, and I don't mean close. They fit like they were made for me. I routinely shoot 1350 1 1/8 oz loads in 2 Twelves I have. The restored 1937 12 gauge Model 12 Skeet only gets light one ounce loads, but that is because parts are getting hard to find, and the gun is almost 85 years old.

I am 70, weigh 157 lbs, and have balance issues. If my guns did not fit, someone would have to stand behind me to catch me when I shoot them.

My theory on gun fit is, if it hits where you look, mounts like it is in a groove, and does not kick, it fits. Recoil is different than kick. A gun that fits has recoil. A gun that does not fit kicks your head off, and may not shoot anywhere near where it should.

Gun fit with the "prosthetic" stocks is cheaper, and one assembly has enough adjustment for most folks. Intl' shooting is different. The successful Intl' shooter will have an exaggerated forward lean in their stance. The top of the shoulder is near level with the top third or so of the ear. Also, they shoot 24 gram, or 7/8 oz loads. They are fast, but still generate less recoil than most of the ammo Americans shoot.

Trap shooting Air gun Blue Trigger Gesture

Typical Intl' stance.

Skeet shooting Sky Hat Air gun Trigger

Typical American clay target shooter stance.

Darned if I will put a "prosthetic" on my mid grade K-80!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Stuff changes. Most of us on here are now the old guy pulling out an O/U designed 50+ years ago. When I started it was the old guys with Model 12's. Same as showing up with a 50+ year old wood stocked model 70 at hunting camp. Now its fluted barrels and composite stalks. Don't be afraid of change, Not many of us have 8 tracks in our car anymore🤯

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
How about a precision fit stock. Aluminum and plastic grip. Really great for fitting with recoil reduction feature. Can't beat it. Looks ugly but really works. 20 year user
already have it. One problem: weight is too much for "gun down" games. My gun became very back heavy. Going to switch to something lighter.

the other issue - grip. I could not do anything good with it...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Eventually we'll probably get to the point where a custom stock can be 3d printed and sell for a tiny fraction of what a custom crafted wood one would and be able to be able to taken home fully complete the next day from a shoot. Personally I'm waiting for the first truly modular break action shotgun that is FULLY user serviceable and can be rebuilt without special skills and tools (basically a Glock shotgun).
We're already there...

That was one of reasons I asked that question: i'm between "printing" the stock on a 3D printer and going TSK route. But folks around me keep talking about custom wooden stock. How better it is, etc.

Printing - lack of adjustability, but definitely is cheaper than wood work... No trust to a "stock maker"/"fitter"...
TSK - a lot of adjustability, but grip and forearm still have to be printed. Price is bad...

With PFS i adjusted in 2 (in 1 year): initial fitting session and then later, to bring eye a little bit lower (closer to the rib) when started shooting SC. Should I expect/do the same for TSK?

·
Registered
34,299 Posts
What is the density of the material from a 3D printer? Does it vary?
Never mind I looked it up. https://bitfab.io/blog/3d-printing-materials-densities/

I seem to remember not too long ago, people made stocks using dense form as a core, shaped, then covered in layered in fiberglass cloth and expose. Is that type of stock construction going on to anybody’s knowledge?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
What is the density of the material from a 3D printer? Does it vary?
Never mind I looked it up. https://bitfab.io/blog/3d-printing-materials-densities/

I seem to remember not too long ago, people made stocks using dense form as a core, shaped, then covered in layered in fiberglass cloth and expose. Is that type of stock construction going on to anybody’s knowledge?
not sure about the technology... Probably you're right. Because stock I saw is very "sturdy" - adjustable comb is not a problem, mass can be varied - hollow more or less and at the same type "feel" is not like you're touching hard plastic.
May be they cover stock with something.

At the same moment he said that I can file and slap expoy/bondo without a problem. And when i'm ready - he can replicate what i've done and make a new stock (and price is much less. replica is basically cost of materials and a little bit on top for a hassle)

41 - 60 of 81 Posts