Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Used to use my dad's mossberg 183k .410, then used a ruger 10/22. Now I use either a Beeman R9 .22 air rifle or an Air Arms TX200 .177 air rifle. Silent, accurate, and deadly.
I have thought about trying some of the new air rifles out. May have to look into it a little more.

·
Registered
24,626 Posts
I'm surprised to see the several 22 shorts. I didn't realize they are that popular. Must do the job well though.
From 30-50 feet? Up in a tree? No question they do the job. Out to 25 yards they are excellent.

Reactions: Chance McCall

·
Registered
Joel Etchen Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III
58 Posts
As of right now it is my Henry Small Game Carbine in .22lr. My goal is to buy a Henry 17HMR Varmint Special this winter and try it though so possibly subject to change

·
Premium Member
4,871 Posts
Model 39-A Marlin 22 S-L-LR .With a Redfield peep receiver sight . I live in the middle of town in a old established neighborhood that is a forest of Pin Oak trees My neighbors and the house across the street is in on this so no one calls the cops . I have a 6 acre city park behind me . I started on April 1`st 2001 shooting the TREE RATS which were tearing up our yards and chewing on our deck and patio furniture . We all have double layers of screen wire on the louvers of out Hip & Ridge roof vents to keep the bastards out . I shoot CCI CB Longs or Shorts or Aquila .22 longs in 20 gr @ 590 fps . My last one shot made 2286 kills . That is just the ones I pick up . I do not count the wounded ones that crawl off and die elsewhere . I have a pair of very well fed foxes that cover my back yard or they take a ride on the BIG GREEN TRUCK each week . Pisses me off to find golf ball sized divots dug in my really nice lawn or the damage on the arms and back of the man made lumber patio furniture . House down on the corner had a infestation of the tree rats in the attic space and they ate all the black fabric off the old fashioned nob & tube wiring that had to be replaced in the middle of a very hot August before the house would pass a VA inspection in order to sell . The electricians agreed it was a miracle the place did not catch on fire .

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
When I go anymore which is very seldom I use a Winchester Model 190 with short HP and all I do is head shots.

·
Premium Member
13,495 Posts
CZ 453 (single set) in 22LR - Zeiss Terra 3X scope (3x - 9x)
Tikka T1X in 17 HMR - Zeiss Terra 3X scope (3x - 9x)

Both are threaded for moderators as well...

I tend to shoot CCI CB long for the noise they don't make. Even un-muzzled they are quieter than an air rifle.

Reactions: cmccoy76

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
It's a lot harder to find 22 short HPs today than back then, Even when ammo was plentiful. :confused:
I do have one box of short HPs I bought about 20 years ago and the ole' Model 67 is as accurate as it was 60 years ago. While I don't hunt any longer, I'm sure it would be good if If I ever needed to do a little meat harvesting.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I do have one box of short HPs I bought about 20 years ago and the ole' Model 67 is as accurate as it was 60 years ago. While I don't hunt any longer, I'm sure it would be good if If I ever needed to do a little meat harvesting.
They don't make them like the 67 any more. Real steel, all milled, and solid walnut stocks.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts