Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what most people use for squirrels these days. I have used 22 lr, 22 mag and 17 hmr. My current favorite is the 17 hmr with either Hornady or remington 17 grain rounds.

·
Registered
24,657 Posts
For flying orange squirrels I prefer a Perazzi choked mod/full and 1 1/8 ounce 7.5’s traveling at 1145 or so. For chatterboxes in fall foliage I like a percussion round ball rifle in .45 cal over 60 gn fffg. pillow tick patch and rendered pig tallow oil.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For flying orange squirrels I prefer a Perazzi choked mod/full and 1 1/8 ounce 7.5’s traveling at 1145 or so. For chatterboxes in fall foliage I like a percussion round ball rifle in .45 cal over 60 gn fffg. pillow tick patch and rendered pig tallow oil.
I like your style

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Mossberg 144 LSB .22LR, Tricked out Ruger 10-22 with Kidd accessories and a Lone Eagle .22LR pistol. All with either RWS or Lapua subsonic.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never had much issue with meat lose with the 17 hmr. Usually go for head shoot or behind front shoulders. Usually don't lose more then one front leg if anything. It Is more destructive then 22 lr but never have an issue with them finding a hole after they are hit.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Growing up in Ca I never hunted squirrels for food. We shot them so the cows wouldn't step in their burrow and get injured.
Anyway a Remington 700BDL 22-250 with a Canjar set trigger was my gun of choice. Good for 300 yard shoots all day long.

When we would visit Arkansas, they used slower 22's. Said the fast stinger/magnum rounds punched a hole through them and they might not fall down. Slower rounds knocked them off the branch.

·
Registered
826 Posts
55 year old BRNO Model #2 in .22LR shooting Remington subsonics or ELEY. The rifle has a 3x9 scope set at 6. It also works very well on rabbits. My step father has the same one on the farm in England and they both shoot so well. The one in England is a beaten up farm rifle that has shot many thousands of rounds and the scope is worth more than the rifle.
Great Rifles, I think CZ makes a newer version of the same rifle.
Devonian.

·
Registered
24,657 Posts
Years ago I shot a squirrel with a .243 Winchester/ 75 grain hollow point.. It wasn't pretty, taco meat.
The secret is to not hit the squirrel. Hit the branch or trunk right next to him.

Reactions: Chance McCall

·
Registered
24,657 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I used to hunt squirrels for the pot during Pa small game season. Before .17 Mach 2 and .17HMR, I used .22LR (standard velocity) & a Remington 541S. When the .17s came out, I switched to them as I found them to be more accurate with the extended practical range a plus. Used a CZ452 Varmint with the .17s. Only went for head shots
to not ruin the meat. Good scope a must. To get the best trigger out a CZ452, one needs the Eric Brooks trigger kit or use a CZ453 Varmint.with the set trigger.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Used to use my dad's mossberg 183k .410, then used a ruger 10/22. Now I use either a Beeman R9 .22 air rifle or an Air Arms TX200 .177 air rifle. Silent, accurate, and deadly.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts