Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My personal favorite to carry as a hunting sidearnm is my 4" Model 66 It has been with me since '78..It shoots as accurate as any 6" barrel gun I have. My second favorite is my very early model 17 with both 22LR + 22Mag cylinders..a super squirrel plinker

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
Calvin, what exactly does your Model 17 have stamped on it?

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cant remember Brian....cant get to it right now,..still in hospital bed in my living room

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
That doesn't sound good. Hope you get up and about. The reason I ask is if it is an "early Model 17", does it actually say Model 17 on it? Or is the barrel marked .22 L.R."? Generally S&W would not retrofit a .22 WMRF cylinder onto a K-22 or Model 17, but they'd put a .22 LR cylinder on a Model 48 or pre-Model 48, and some came with an aux cylinder from the factory. That's why the caliber marking or model number is important. You might have a Model 48 or pre-Model 48.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Have two .357, S&W Model 586 and 60, but love that Model 57 in .41 Magnum. Also have the .44 mag and .45 Colt, but my usual when I'm out and about is the .41 magnum. Handloads with 215 gr. cast bullets at about 1050 FPS using SR7625 to push them. Doesn't lead and a great shooting round.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
M17 4" and M15 4". Just love these K frames. Also shoot a M10 4" quite a bit.

To be honest, I like all the S&W revolvers that I have and have gotten extremely good service from them. Also think the world of my M41.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
M-66 2 3/4" barrel. Actions been done right and it never skips a beat. Near 2" groups at 25 yards if I do my part on the sandbags. It was my carry piece for many years and still does service on occasion. These days, the compact autos seem to have my preference, but 30+ years ago, a revolver was a great choice. The M66 was small enough to carry, but powerful enough for serious social work.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm positive the cylinder came with the gun as it is marked on the box,..my current brain fart situation from all the pain meds have scrambled everything else..I was sure it was a K-22....maybe not

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Most favorite was a very early 4 screw M-58 4" M&P 41 Magnum and tied with or a close second is my M-624 4" round butt in 44 S&W Special. Best loved are the 3 1/2" barrel M-27s (absolute perfection in form and function)and best friend is my battered old 442 in 38 Special.

And I like all their aunts and uncles and cousins also.

--- Chip King ---

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
An old Model 10 5 screw fitted with a 6 inch bull barrel. The old 5 screws had a long double action. It spread the work load out and you can make it light and smooth as silk. HMB

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
When I hunted, my sidearm was a 4" mod. 29. I carried the first two shots as buckshot for damn rattle snakes. Off duty, when I carried a revolver, it was a 2" mod 19...

Now, I alternate between my Beretta Cougar 8040...40cal and my S&W 669...9mm.

JON

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
When I hunted, my sidearm was a 4" mod. 29. I carried the first two shots as buckshot for damn rattle snakes. Off duty, when I carried a revolver, it was a 2" mod 19...

Now, I alternate between my Beretta Cougar 8040...40cal and my S&W 669...9mm.

JON

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.