Trapshooters Forum banner

Whats wrong with me?

3709 Views 38 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  ggmshoots4fun
I was introduced to the trapshooting game around 1951. Now my problem is, I have had many fine shotguns that I shot very well but still keep looking for another to train.
I have a Ljutic srm that I shoot exceptionally well, but I just keep looking for another gun. I think now I would like to try another Silver Seitz again. I had one once and we really got along very nice till I was made an offer I couldn't refuse. Not being overly plush in the cash department, I should be very happy with what I have, but I just can not stop looking and wanting to try something else. Why can't I be satisfied with what I have and shoot what I have and do it well? Am I a little bit crazy or what?
Con
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Premium Member
804 Posts
That's just part of the fun!!! Sounds like I'm a lot like you.. maybe we're just looking for the ultimate gun... the one that hits em all, all the time ...I suspect, it just ain't out there.. but it's still just plain old fun, coupled with the excitement of trying .... over and over again. I'm totally happy with what I shoot today, several Brownings, a BT99 Max, a 725 combo ... yet this morning, I found myself looking at a BT99AR from Monsoors... I want it!!! Last week, I wanted a Kreigoff KX6 Special.. the week before I wanted but missed a SSeitz at a smoking deal, who knows what I'll want this weekend... but I can assure you .. I'll be shooting and looking .... it's what we do! Good luck

· Premium Member
5,199 Posts
I was introduced to the trapshooting game around 1951. Now my problem is, I have had many fine shotguns that I shot very well but still keep looking for another to train.
I have a Ljutic srm that I shoot exceptionally well, but I just keep looking for another gun. I think now I would like to try another Silver Seitz again. I had one once and we really got along very nice till I was made an offer I couldn't refuse. Not being overly plush in the cash department, I should be very happy with what I have, but I just can not stop looking and wanting to try something else. Why can't I be satisfied with what I have and shoot what I have and do it well? Am I a little bit crazy or what?
Con
No more crazy than the rest of us. If I was flush with cash I'd start at the top and all my gun's engraving would be dripping with gold.

· Registered
71 Posts
You sound like a perfectly normal trapshooter to me.
I was going to say, sounds normal to me. My weakness is wood and 70s era shotguns. Win 101s, Rem 3200s, Nikkos and SKBs. I have the modern BT-99 plus and 725 unsingle as go to guns and a nice Fabarms RS12 QRR as my O/U but cant help having other pretty mistresses hiding in the safe to bring out to play occasionally. Plus, they usually bring out stories of "Oh, I used to shoot one of those in my youth" from the veteran shooters at the range.

· Premium Member
2,326 Posts
In my opinion jumping from gun to gun is detrimental to your game, but the grass is always greener where the dog squats.
I shoot with some old men who probably will see this post, that jump from gun to gun then can’t figure why they don’t shoot as good as they used to. As for me I collect guns but I have one serious competition trap gun that I shoot when the chips are down.

· Registered
734 Posts
Nothing wrong with you we all do it. I have my TMX my ultimate trap gun it is worn out and needs alot of work I keep looking for a different gun but always pull the tmx out of the safe im going to have it rebuild and keep shooting it. I got my dream gun for doubles and I keep looking for another gun. Maybe ill get a new sporting Clay's gun instead. Keep ur lujtic and get a different gun if you don't like it ull still have the lujtic

· Registered
7,253 Posts
The magic gun, the quest of almost all competitors. The one that takes you to be crowned King. That is a pretty universal wish, and it gets worse when you have enough cash to keep buying.

It is not just guns. Motorcycle lovers are always looking for the magic bike. Car guys are always looking for the ultimate performance. Many guitar players are looking for that magic tone. Women are looking for that magic fashion.
It is just a part of human nature. Some can overcome it with logic and maturity.
I think for many, the buying/selling/swapping and trading has become a hobby in it's self.

If it makes you feel better, look at it as investing. I sold 3 safes full of firearms to fund my last three years of education. I made profit on every one. Better than Merrill Lynch.

· Registered
81 Posts
The magic gun, the quest of almost all competitors. The one that takes you to be crowned King. That is a pretty universal wish, and it gets worse when you have enough cash to keep buying.

It is not just guns. Motorcycle lovers are always looking for the magic bike. Car guys are always looking for the ultimate performance. Many guitar players are looking for that magic tone. Women are looking for that magic fashion.
It is just a part of human nature. Some can overcome it with logic and maturity.
I think for many, the buying/selling/swapping and trading has become a hobby in it's self.

If it makes you feel better, look at it as investing. I sold 3 safes full of firearms to fund my last three years of education. I made profit on every one. Better than Merrill Lynch.
Agreed. I have to many guitars also!

· Registered
3,965 Posts
I am 81 years old and a long time ago I decided that my two 1982 Trap guns are still just right for me. This is probably a financial motive but I believe my shooting decline is related to Vision issues and not choice of guns. I had cataract surgery in both eyes and now eye floaters are the only remaining excuse for lower scores. I struggled with the cross-firing problem for years and have now settled on the tape patch on my left eye lens.

· Registered
70 Posts
I don't think there's a such thing as an ultimate, end all, be all shotgun. I enjoy shooting, and am always looking for something fun or new. If ever there comes a time where I'm not wanting to collect, buy, sell, and trade firearms...well..I'll be six feet under.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.