Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What

I was looking for a 1100 Competition about 18 months ago for a friend. New they were running about $1,300 if I remember correctly. Now I see them on gun broker between $1,029 to $1,195. Also I hardly ever see them for sale. I now may be interested in one and my questions are:
1). Are they a popular gun and that is why you do not see many of them?
2). Or are they like the browning recoilless that just did not become as popular as they thought.
3). Or what are the "Pro's and Con's" of the gun????

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I just got one. The availability, according to Jack West (who makes the stocks) is a Remington Factory issue. Too busy with other stuff. They were shipped a lot of stocks months ago and I guess they're just getting up to speed on shipping some out. Couple for sale here on TS. I can't really give you any pros and cons as I haven't shot it yet and haven't owned an 1100 before so have nothing to compare with. The barrel does have a knock down pin installed from the factory but whether that will keep empties from "distracting" another shooter remains to be seen. I wanted it for a backup gun and to shoot some sporting clays now and then. Might try it for doubles if I can keep the empty hulls off my neighbor. I will say the gun looks light, but it isn't. Mine tips the scale at a tad over 9lbs; don't expect you'd see too many being carried by hunters. (but it IS a gun designed for competition shooting, not carrying in the field) The adjustable pad and comb are nice features and be advised this is not a Gracoil - it's a Ken Rucker Bump Buster recoil system. It is not adjustable for LOP; mine measures exactly 14.5" to the center of the recoil pad. I need another 3/4" and Ken Rucker assured me he could send me a spacer to get the additional length. The bbl is high gloss finish, the receiver looks great and the internals are coated with something that's as smooth as glass. I'm pretty satisfied but do wish the buttstock was wider(deeper) from heel to toe. Seems almost diminuitive in comparison to my other guns. But,it shoulders well, has plenty of adjustment and I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
My younger son got 1 yesterday for Christmas. We ordered it from Hyatts gun store in North Carolina in March and just received it the first of December. I paid $1100 for the gun.

We are heading to the gun club in a little while to smoke a few targets. When we get back, I'll let you know how it shoots.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I think Remington underestimated how many they could sell, and concentrated on other firearms.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Based on my memory, these guns were selling for about $1,000 at the end of their last run from Remington. As Brian said, Remington seemed to have underestimated the popularity of the guns. When the last of the new guns ran out, there was a scarcity-based run-up in price, not unlike the recent past price spikes on AR-15s. There were a few being offered for prices in excess of $1,300.

See the thread above. It looks like the company is ramping up production again, and the prices should stabilize around the $1,100 level. That seems to be the amount being asked for the NIB guns lately.

Danny

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
$1,001 with free shipping from Bud's

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
As promised, we are back from the range and here are my thoughts on the gun.
( We only live about 10 minutes from the club, very handy indeed!)

My son that recieved the gun walked out on the line and quickly made smoke of the first 18 targets, then he got a little tired and ended the round with a 22/25. He stated he would need a little time and a few more hundred rounds to make his decision! I take that as he liked it. He was definitely not prepared for the recoil reduction as he has been shooting an 870 with none.

I shot 2 rounds and finished with a 44/50. I fell in love with the gun immediately. A little heavier than my 870 but swings and points like a dream. There is no "lug" to knock the empties to the ground and the standard metal shell catcher from our other 1100 fit and worked nicely.

Stock was simple to adjust. We both liked the 10mm rib and it was not hard to stack the beads. We were shooting factory Noblesports that were 23/4 Dr. Equiv. 1-1/8 0z. 8's with no problems. We used the Light Modified screw =-in-choke made by Briley and the gun/ shell combo absolutely smoked the targets.

For the price in my opinion, the gun was well worth the wait.

I'll be seriously happy if the gun lives up to the 1100 reputation. The Classic Trap my older son has been shooting the last 7 years has been a very low maintenace gun.A good cleaning every now and then and a new o-ring at the start of the season has been it. That gun has at least 50,000 rounds through it and is still ticking like a Timex.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I've been shooting a Comp for years. They are as good an 1100 as has been made, in my opinion. I think that Remington is like all the other gun makers, busy with the stuff that is really selling. Pistols, AR's and rifles dominate the market.

Kip

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Wingmaster78,

"We used the Light Modified screw =-in-choke made by Briley and the gun/ shell combo absolutely smoked the targets."

Did you actually turn the target into nothing but dust, ie smoke or you got good breaks into many pieces so smoked the targets was a figure of speech?

Jason

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Jason. I was not using a figure of speech. Smoked targets to me means smoked , as in,nothing left not even dust left to hit the ground.

I don't give all the credit to the gun. We've been using those shells for a couple of years on our youth team and they seem to smoke more targets than any other shell we've tried. Believe me, when you have kids shooting alot, (60,000-70,000 practice and competition targets combined a season) you shoot whatever shells you can find and as cheap as you can find! Everything from AA's to Federal Top Gun to Estate to Rio to Noblesport and whatever else will go "Bang"!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Stonewall, that is for the entire team of 25 youth athletes. We start in late January or early February and usually finish up in mid September.
We shoot as many local ATA registered monthly shoots as we can along with the State and Nationals. We shoot the State, Regional and National SCTP events and we usually shoot some of the US Open.

Most of the kids will shoot at least 2,000 shells on average and some of the more experienced shooters will shoot 3,000 or more in a season.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
You guys know what I mean.

It appears a though when the shot hits the target, or the target runs into the shot,( whichever the case may be) the target is gone instantly. It appears as though nothing is left to hit the ground.

I swear, some of you guys just look for something to bust someones balls on anything that is written on this forum.
Just like my wife, constantly reading more into a statement than is neccessary.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Wingmaster78 & Joe,

I find it hard to believe that a .015 constriction choke will turn a target to dust shooting 16 yard singles.

Could both of you measure the bore of your barrel and the choke to see what the actual constriction is?

Jason

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
A faster shooter with a LM can easily make smoke...just because some of you shoot slower than an arthritic great grandmother,,, you get my drift

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
I've got a 20 ga out in the shop if anyone is interested. Looks new. $900 plus shipping should do it. PM if interested!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts