Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't make it this year and wondering what the talk is this week? I know that a lot of shooters are holding back from renewing their camping leases because of the uncertainty. Any rumors?

blade819

·
Premium Member
10,551 Posts
If your serious about shooting the Grand and have a camping spot it's foolish not to renew your lease.

The ATA is quite solvent and there is little to no risk that you will lose anything. I'm renewing mine today and all of my buds are too.

·
Banned
818 Posts
That depends on who you talk to or what you read ... The ATA says all is well and they are headed in a fantastic direction, the Office of the Governor don't see it the same way ... The Governor is trying to avoid shutting down the WSRC, so far there does not seem to be a workable plan according to what was posted early this morning ... You just never know, you know ... If not now, sooner or later it is inevetiable ... I have not talked to anyone who is re newing their lease or even considering the options ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
That's it; it's finished. It's over. It's done. The entire sky has imploded.......

Summary: Don't worry until you actually have something to worry about. In the grand scheme of things, Sparta does not matter. If it does, then all I can say is, check your life priorities........

M.D.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
likes-to-shoot: Bill, of course they don't. Parks are provided as a service to the citizens and as a draw for tourist dollars.

And I don't believe for a moment that the reported annual expense (upkeep, maintenance, etc.) needs to be as high as they say .

Reactions: WPT

·
Registered
58 Posts
I live in the area and I see no reason why the complex should not at least break even. If they did a better job of utilizing the property I am confident that it would break even. It's not just about the complex itself but the impact it has on many communities here in Southern Illinois, not just $ but all of the youth shooting sports teams that have developed since the complex was built.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
The complex will be unable to break even by hosting events that does not pay the fully loaded cost of the event. They will need to contract out maintenance and operations, keep food service closed until the volume covers cost, turn away none profitable events, and be capable of complete and efficient shutdowns during non-use periods.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It would help if the Illinois state shoot was at Sparta.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
It would help if the Illinois state shoot was at Sparta.
It would help the WSRC but kill another shooting venue. Few live closer to the WSRC than me but I would never want to lose Brittany Shooting Park.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
If your serious about shooting the Grand and have a camping spot it's foolish not to renew your lease.

The ATA is quite solvent and there is little to no risk that you will lose anything. I'm renewing mine today and all of my buds are too.

Barry its not the ATA's balance sheet in question. It's the State of Illinois with their 4 billion dollar deficit that is causing all of the problems. When you have a deficit like that you have to cut and cut deep which is why we are in this mess.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Barry its not the ATA's balance sheet in question. It's the State of Illinois with their 4 billion dollar deficit that is causing all of the problems. When you have a deficit like that you have to cut and cut deep which is why we are in this mess.
Maybe you should educate yourself a little more before commenting. What Barry is talking about has everything to do with the ATA's budget.
Do you know who handles the camping for the Grand?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Lady T, Is there a State that is in the Black? Every State has a deficit and every States deficit is growing.

·
Administrator
8,662 Posts
Lit, it is interesting that you bring up Yellowstone. I live a short distance from Glacier Park and when you take a look at what the Park Service and the Federal Gov. tells us there are record attendance number going thru the gates over the last several years thus meaning ok if everyone it paying is paying the posted gate fee the park should also have increased income.You would be surprised how many time a year my business is approached about donating to the non-profit groups that are trying to raise money to save certain park buildings,chalets ect. So of course a person starts thinking with record numbers coming to the park how much is staying there for infrastructure ect. and how much is going out for unrelated programs?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I think at this point it would serve everyone best to just sit back and see what developes in the coming weeks. Good chance the facility will be closed, at least in the short term, but nobody truly knows.
I can also say with a fair degree of certainty that the Illinois state shoot will NEVER come to the WRSC for a variety of reasons.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Lady T, Is there a State that is in the Black? Every State has a deficit and every States deficit is growing.

It matters not what the financial situation the other states are in. The Grand is held in Illinois not some other state therefore the 4 billion dollar hole in the Illinois Budget matters as Sparta is on the chopping block.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Maybe you should educate yourself a little more before commenting. What Barry is talking about has everything to do with the ATA's budget.
Do you know who handles the camping for the Grand?

grntitan: I have spent the last 20 years as a government watch dog for my City and County governments. Their budgets are no different except in their size. They go through the same pains and face the same obstacles that those at the state level do. Again the only difference is the size of the numbers. What Illinois is facing is huge. Not only is there a huge hole in it's yearly budget but it's pension system is DOA. It's so bad that cities in Ill. that issue muni bonds are paying about 10 basis points more because of the State's budget and pension problems.

Will the WRSC close, probably not this year or in the next few years but Illinois is running out of road to kick the can down. The end of this road is a dead end with either bankruptcy waiting or huge cuts in services, layoffs, large tax increases, cuts in pension benefits, cuts in health care, the shutting down of parks and pools or all of the aforementioned.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts