Trapshooters Forum banner

What'll you be carrying for spring bear?

3094 Views 26 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  well digger
What will you be toting for optics, rifle, bullet etc...

Go Zags!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2,071 Posts
What will you be toting for optics, rifle, bullet etc...

Go Zags!
What GMU did you draw. With this weather the Blues might be turning on soon. It will be a while yet for anything in the Northeast.

The hell with the Zags....GO Eagles

· Registered
6,148 Posts
The damn things are a nuisance here in FL, and there are LOTS of them, but the "powers that be" let the "bunny huggers" tell them what to do.

We had a bear hunt here in FL a few years ago where the quota was 500 animals, and you had to call in your kill ASAP. It was scheduled to last 9 days (if memory serves) or until the quota was met. Hunt was over with inside of 2 days!

The animal lovers raised so much hell about it, the hunt officials have never had the balls to schedule another one. It's just ridiculous.

I belong to a hunt club in Taylor county FL, and it's some pretty wild country. I have trail cam pics of bears constantly at my feeding stations, and they will tear up a feeder in a heartbeat. It's a constant battle with the things.

IMO, and in the opinion of many, many other sportsmen, there is absolutely no reason not to have a season for them here.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

· Registered
111 Posts
My bow...I usually arrow a couple every year. They are the perfect animal for bowhunting (no baiting allowed in BC) and are abundant. We like to eat them in stews, soups, tacos, etc. It gets good around Mother's Day when things start to green up in the back country, though I have killed one nice boar in late April one year.

· Registered
2,360 Posts
Debating between my Encore 450 bushmaster with VX 6 2-12 firedot pushing 250 shockwave bonded at 2580 or my 357 rimless encore pushing a .358 180 gr at 2600 FPS. Shots are close. Will be back in Maine over bait with my Passamaquoddy buddies.

· Registered
1,948 Posts
This Colt was shipped to a Hardware Store in Michigan's UP back in 1964. The wear on it shows it was carried in a holster for many years, and I suspect it was during bear and deer season.
44 Special, good backup for either animal. Back in the 60's 30-06 down to 35 Rem. was typical for bear.
I still carry the Colt while deer hunting, someday one will give me a clear shot to use it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.