Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to play the options in handicap at the grand. I'm new and at the 21 after shooting a 97.
I would have to shoot from the 25 at the grand for options. If it goes reasonably well (pick up a punch)... will I be at the 26 from then on? One step off the fence feels weird after 3 shoots. Put on my big boy pants and go for it or progress more gradually to the fence?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Yes, if you are shooting penalty yardage and you earn a punch, the punch yardage will be added to the penalty yardage you were shooting from. This will then be your new home.

If you feel that lucky, play it all.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
My new home will be far away from the birds.. LOL At least no one can call me a sandbagger then.

I'm going for it. I'll post back with the results on Tuesday.
You wouldn't be the first. My buddy did this exact thing several years ago. He then proceeded to come back to reality and is now on his way back down.

Good luck.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Being able to shoot 100 birds at my club for only $32.00 total helps a LOT. I've been practicing like a mad man.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I couldn't agree more !

It would be ridiculous for someone with 300 hcp targets to even think about shooting from anything less than 25 yds.( oops 26yds don't forget about that punch)

18-21-25-26? All in three shoots. Screw experience and fundamentals, shoot for the $!

Good luck.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
1. Send me the money.

2. Write the ATA and ask them to put you on the 25. They will do this but you can't receive a reduction for 2 years.

This will produce a better outcome for you as either way you will have lost your money but at least using my way I will send you a heartfelt, personal thank you for the money and you will be guaranteed to be on the 25.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
No, no, no. The proper way to shoot and win handicap at the Grand is this:

1. Shoot a lot of practice in unregistered shoots until you're really good (running 100 straight).
2. Shoot in smaller, cheaper registered shoots to get experience.
3. Make friends with and/or cut a deal with someone who runs a small club in the middle of nowhere that holds registered shoots. Do this with two or more clubs if you can. "Shoot" registered birds at these clubs to build up your target count. By "shoot" I mean make sure scores are sent in but make sure they're not too high...don't want to be bumped up don't talk know.
4. Take a reduction if you are offered one.
5. Go to Grand as an 18-20 yard shooter, play all the Options laugh all the way to the bank. If you're lucky, the clubs that you had an arrangement with to "shoot" at will "lose" your score sheets and you'll even get a fat refund for "shooting" them!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK.... Here is the update. I wimped out and shot from the 21 (2 events) and didn't break 90. I practiced from the 25 and barely shot 75 . No one told me it was a different sport from back there and no one wants to see me shoot a score like that. I took the $140.00 that would have been played on the options and am donating it to Karla's (Trapwife) gun raffle to benefit "youth shooting and the Hall of Fame".

Side note: I persuaded Mitchel Loveless II to give me a lesson and the results were laughingly immediate. "oh.. I'm supposed to look there", I can actually see the birds now.
He has a great low key teaching style and I would recommend him to anyone. Thanks Mitchel

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
If you want an in depth lesson, Leo Harrison's video on singles/handicap is available at the Federal building. thanks for supporting the "donation drawing" Good luck today and tomorrow
Karla

·
Registered
40 Posts
Being able to shoot 100 birds at my club for only $32.00 total helps a LOT. I've been practicing like a mad man.
Am I missing something here?...100 birds for $32.00?......Is that just what the birds are costing you, $0.32 each?....and you think that's a deal?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts