Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a conversation with a new shooter, and the question of what would be the most desirable point of impact for doubles should be? I couldn't give a him a very good answer. Maybe some opinions from some of t/s better doubles shooters? I would think for the ease of explanation the idea of percentage's would be simpler to relate to. He has not shot any doubles yet, but I don't think it will be long due to the fact that he owns a o/u.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
There is a basic POI problem in doubles. The first target in doubles is a fast rising target
and the second targets flight path depends on how soon you shoot it. It can be rising, flat
or dropping. Getting the right POI for the second shot is very important. It is the target
missed most by doubles shooters. Having different POI settings for the barrels on a O?U
can also be a problem. HMB

·
Registered
78 Posts
How does one set different POIs for the top and bottom barrels? Doesn't changing comb and rib setting affect both barrels?

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
jd
Ir would depend on the gun. Some allow you to change POI with a combination of Adjustable comb, Adjustable rib and Barrel hangers.

West

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
As an example, changing the barrel hanger on a Krieghoff K-80 Trap Special could make the bottom barrel a whole pattern higher than the top barrel.

·
Registered
18,779 Posts
I had a conversation with a new shooter, and the question of what would be the most desirable point of impact for doubles should be? I couldn't give a him a very good answer. Maybe some opinions from some of t/s better doubles shooters? I would think for the ease of explanation the idea of percentage's would be simpler to relate to. He has not shot any doubles yet, but I don't think it will be long due to the fact that he owns a o/u.
The 'idea' of percentages may be easier to relate to. But. It is wrong.

http://www.mn-trap.org/tech_corner/n_winston/Point_of_Impact_and_Pattern_Testing_at_13_Yards.pdf

I like mine 3 inches high.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
SD, it really depends on how fast you shoot. The quicker you shoot, the faster you get to the second bird and the higher the POI can be. My POI for singles and caps used to be 22" high @ 40. Doubles was a disaster with that POI. I lowered it over time and found 80/20 or 9" high @ 40 to be the best compromise. If I were to set the gun up for doubles only, I would not go higher than 6" @ 40. BTW, I insist both barrels shoot to the same POI.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
The K-80 is the way to go. You can set the POI of the top barrel
using the comb and then set the POI of the bottom barrel by
changing the barrel hanger. Changing the barrel hanger does
affect the POI of the top barrel because it is reinforced by the rib. HMB

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
60/40 both barrels.

·
Registered
452 Posts
On my MX-10 I am with Mr. Martin, 60/40 and since I have been set up this way. my average is higher. Keep in mind 2 things, doubles is all about second bird and some days the wind is in your face, some days behind you. When its behind you, people with a high POI seem to do poorly. A flatter shooting gun, seems to help higher scores and consistency . YMMV. Scott

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the good input. I'm thinking that the K80 information is not going to help much, new shooter,limited funds. I'm going to suggest a session with the pattern board and see what his o/u produces. The higher shooting first shot/ flatter shooting second shot is what I'm going to suggest to start with. That all depends on the pattern board results.

·
Registered
154 Posts
hmb just to add to your text after your done with o/u put unsingle on and adjust poi to same as o/u using the adjustment on unsgl rib both barrels should have same poi

·
Registered
366 Posts
Many people seem to believe that top shooters all shoot high POI for all games, It's not true.

A lot of top shooter shoot in the 1-3" high at 13 yards realm. (1" high at 13 yards being approx. 60/40 at 40yds for those who prefer that lingo).

·
Registered
452 Posts
I do not get this high POI for 1st bird and flatter for second, it is like someone is going to hold a still gun. I am low on the house (actually below the lid) when I call for 1st bird, gun moving and as soon as I touch the bird, I release the trigger and roll eye for second bird. Once I touch the bird with a small move, why would I need a high POI? I used to shoot 80/20 as my old gun was not adjustable, now the 60/40 rolls more smoke on both shots. If you are doing dubs right, both shots will be dirt balls. Seems like Dan Bonillas, shot a flatter POI on dubs.........works for me. Scott

·
Registered
18,779 Posts
The most desirable impact on doubles is simple. The targets break every time you make a good move. POI is irrelevant.
The gun has to shoot where YOU look to be effective, not some preconceived notion that someone else thinks is a good idea.
D
Oh balogna. You only had a 97.42 doubles average last year. You don't know diddly-squat about shooting doubles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts