Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read every action has a reaction.. what would happen if you bolted a high powered gun.. shot gun or elephant gun to a un moveable object and fired it.. would the stock shatter? would the gun explode? or would the enegry transfer into the load and make the fps go up?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
...sixteen people would immediately post and say your test means nothing, because it was overcast and you didn't repeat the test when the sun came out.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
nothing happens. recoil, or newtons third law, is relative. set your action in a 2000 pound block of granite and have at it. good luck with it

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have heard of the pressure test guns but know nothing about them.. or how they measure pressure..

·
Supporting Vendor
10,241 Posts
I think the gun would shatter. I liken it to, if you could imagine that you were in an ice shanty that was shoved off of a cliff. If you step out of the door at the instant it hits the ground, the shanty would be destroyed, but you would be unscathed.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Tron, ever turn the lights out and try to jump in bed before it gets dark? Or come home late at night and not turn on the light and jump into bed,, only to find the bed was moved?? Has about the same effect as stepping out the shanty door at the bottom of the cliff. :)

Hap

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Did you ever hear of a F-16 falling apart when the pilot pushes the button on the M61 vulcan canon? 6 barrel gatling gun, 20 mm round, 6,000 rounds per minute, fixed mounted.

·
Registered
14,126 Posts
At the very least I would expect damage to the stock, and that would likely be the extent. Numerous reports of firearm damage have been reported using the Caldwell lead sled, and I would imagine that would have more "give" than the immovable object your talking about. There should be no damage to the action or barrel, as there is no increase in cartridge pressure.

google "lead sled stock damage"

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
<i>"I have read every action has a reaction.. what would happen if you bolted a high powered gun.. shot gun or elephant gun to a un moveable object and fired it.. would the stock shatter? would the gun explode? or would the enegry transfer into the load and make the fps go up?"</i>

Would the stock shatter? Only if it was poor quality.

Would the gun explode? No.

Would the FPS go up? No.

In fact, Krupp made a cannon that had a mount that forbade recoil. The cannon had a ball around the barrel that fit in a socket. The socket was mounted in a heavy, non-moving mount, that was fit into solid rock. There was no recoil, because the mount and rock absorbed the energy.

The Germans also experimented with a similar setup for a turretless tank destroyer. Our military also experimented with a non-recoiling mount for the Sherman tank. In both cases the recoil absorbed by the vehicle was severe. The German anti-tank Panzer did better, but the Sherman wound up damaging the turret ring (what the turret rotates on). Recovery to the next shot was also lengthened in both cases. Of course, because of the suspension, these were not "immovable objects", as the suspension absorbed a lot of the recoil.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
I guy brought in a .460 Weatherby to the gun shop I was working at to complain and show us that the attaching screws for his Conetrol scope bases had sheared clean off when he fired it the first time.....we were always suspicious he'd put it up against a tree or something to fire it...never did find out the real deal...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.