Trapshooters Forum banner

What would cause this damage to a K80 receiver face?

10690 Views 79 Replies 54 Participants Last post by  AJT
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Those gouges don’t look like shooting wear. I second the motion that something was forced. Maybe the wrong size snap cap? I can’t really think why someone would lean so hard on a gun to close it so as to cause that kind of damage tho.
Most O/U barrels are relieved a bit at the bottom of the lower barrel, but this seriously looks like somebody didn't have the barrels seated correctly into the receiver and tried to close it forcefully, and the marks in the receiver face are about in the right area.

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Is it within the realm of possibilities that the gun was fired several times whithout being totally closed? Looks like that to me.
I doubt a Kgun would fire that far out of lockup, if those marks were from a shell head the firing pin would have hit the rim of the shell, not even close to the primer.

· Registered
3,174 Posts
You'd have to be pretty stupid to screw this up.
Only other thing I can think of is a sub gauge tube was backing out when the gun was opened and the shooter didn't see it and tried to close it without the tube being seated?

· Premium Member
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the barrel was 18 years old and the receiver, 8 years old when the owner got it from DuPont Krieghoff. He’s had it for 15 years. “Never had any problems and only recently noticed the damage” he asks: Is it just from wear over the years?

Nobody has come up with an explanation yet.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.