Trapshooters Forum banner

What winter coat do you use?

10K views 80 replies 72 participants last post by  Bill M. 
#1 ·
What is everyone using for winter shooting coats.I would like have something water proof and wind proof. Just looking for options and reviews!

#35 ·
John Storm. Prefer it over Wild Hare. I didn’t like the large pleather shooting pad the run the length of the coat. When it got extremely cold it turned into a board. The Storm jacket only has a small piece of leather patch where the gun mounts

Reactions: sdive2
#43 ·
The warmest that I've ever owned was a Bob Allen winter coat. Had it from mid 70's till turn of the century when I lost have of me. Couple years ago I was able to buy a as new in my size off here. There isn't any that I've owned (most already spoken of here) that's kept me as warm. They are also non binding allowing full freedom of movement and extra large roomy pockets. But they're not at all waterproof.

If I didn't have anything and wanted a duel purpose one, I would look for a 10X with zip out liner. It's the only other one I kept/have.

Incidentally, the only coat/jacket that proved to be waterproof established itself at the Missouri State Shoot in the soggyest year I can remember back in the 90's. The brand was Chimere.

#45 ·
Really curious about the zippers now. But so far have really been happy with the Wild Hare coat I have. I'm not typically super cold once I start shooting but when the weather gets windy/wet it has still be really comfortable to shoot in. Don't typically wear a vest shooting so I do often forget things for months in the many nice pockets though.

#49 ·
Wild Hare Cold Weather Coat. If the zippers are bad in mine, I haven't worn it enough to notice that yet.

Not to torment those of you in the midwest or the east where it is cold, dank and miserable in the winter, but in Northern Nevada if the sun is out, you'll probably be comfortable shooting in a light fleece jacket or a good sweater. If the sun's not out it's probably snowing and if it's snowing, I will probably stay at home and reload.

#60 ·
I had a heart attack and my doctor put me on 2 blood thinners. I have been cold ever since. I bought a Milwaukee electric coat and a Milwaukee electric vest. They are the best thing I have bought for shooting in cold weather. A full charged battery will last around 3 hours. If you have USB port in your car or truck you can charge the battery while driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.