Trapshooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts
What is everyone using for winter shooting coats.I would like have something water proof and wind proof. Just looking for options and reviews!
The warmest that I've ever owned was a Bob Allen winter coat. Had it from mid 70's till turn of the century when I lost have of me. Couple years ago I was able to buy a as new in my size off here. There isn't any that I've owned (most already spoken of here) that's kept me as warm. They are also non binding allowing full freedom of movement and extra large roomy pockets. But they're not at all waterproof.

If I didn't have anything and wanted a duel purpose one, I would look for a 10X with zip out liner. It's the only other one I kept/have.

Incidentally, the only coat/jacket that proved to be waterproof established itself at the Missouri State Shoot in the soggyest year I can remember back in the 90's. The brand was Chimere.

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts
Care to elaborate?
Wasn't warm to me with liner in place. An inexpensive sweatshirt felt warmer.

Mine wasn't waterproof.

But why I sold it was how bound up I felt while wearing it. Mine was cust or atleast measurements were taken and it was the most restrictive garment (for me) that I ever shot_in I believe.

I'm probably just to sensitive to what I like.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Really curious about the zippers now. But so far have really been happy with the Wild Hare coat I have. I'm not typically super cold once I start shooting but when the weather gets windy/wet it has still be really comfortable to shoot in. Don't typically wear a vest shooting so I do often forget things for months in the many nice pockets though.

·
Well known trouble maker
3,619 Posts
I'm probably just to sensitive to what I like.

As well you should be.

Freedom of movement is paramount in a winter shooting coat.

Nothing will take you off your game faster than a tight fitting winter coat. I am shooting in a wild hare coat, it allows me freedom of movement and it certainly keeps me warm. The pockets are great for both a shell box and twenty-five empties. But the zipper sucks!

The first wild hare I bought was a nightmare regarding the zipper. The overhanging material that covers the zipper would constantly get stuck in the zipper. What a pain in the ass getting in un-stuck! The coat I am using now is difficult to get the zipper started and the actual zipper is way too small for the application. They should use a quality zipper like a Talon zipper that were used in the Bob Allen coats.

My next coat will be a storm.

I like the idea that it is made here in the states.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
From my time sailing in the cold and wet, I learned nothing beats wool.. Even when wet its almost 100% effective. Other than that I carry my winter coat on me all year round. If you know what I mean!!! 🤠

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Wild Hare Cold Weather Coat. If the zippers are bad in mine, I haven't worn it enough to notice that yet.

Not to torment those of you in the midwest or the east where it is cold, dank and miserable in the winter, but in Northern Nevada if the sun is out, you'll probably be comfortable shooting in a light fleece jacket or a good sweater. If the sun's not out it's probably snowing and if it's snowing, I will probably stay at home and reload.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have 2 Storm coats, primarily for rainy and colder situations but prefer my Bob Allen or Browning (for fairer weather but both no longer available 🙁).

·
Registered
19 Posts
What is everyone using for winter shooting coats.I would like have something water proof and wind proof. Just looking for options and reviews!
Wild hare has really good coats.
personally I wear a high tech ski jacket that I bought on eBay. Very thin, wind proof with thinsulate insulation. Oh, waterproof too.
Good luck in finding what feels good to you.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I like the Beretta down fill shooting jacket. Light, not bulky and very warm. Too bad there not made any more. I usually shoot with just a t-shirt underneath during NY winters. Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Been using a Bob Allen coat my grandfather purchased in 1977, I inherited it in 78. On cold days I'll put on a wind shirt underneath and break out the hand warmers. Keeps me warm and brings memories.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the Wild Hare Winter Coat but I can't remember the last time I wore it.

I prefer wearing a wool pullover, as they seem to be less bulky, and gun mounts easier for me.

As for the rain, that is not for me.
I use a John Storm custom fit jacket that he invented because he couldn't find a good fitting trap jackets that allowed full movement and prevented binding and pulling, etc... With the optional Thinsulate lining the jacket is toasty warm and absolutely windproof, amazingly so. I have several coats and padded vest I have used for shooting, but the John Storm jacket is my goto jacket that never ceases to amaze me with its comfort and fit. When it's freezing outside, I add a light padded vest under the jacket to add warmth. Unfortunately, there is no way to keep your hands and fingers warm with shooting gloves, so I use electric hand warmers from Amazon and put in my jacket pockets to warm my hands between shots. Can't say enough good things about the John Storm jacket that was specifically designed for trap shooters by a trap shooter and custom made in the USA. Call Leslie and she will make sure you coat is customized to fit you perfectly. Takes about a two week turn around all year, except for Christmas time. There are many trap shooters out there that own his coats and I am sure they will sustain my opinion...

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had a heart attack and my doctor put me on 2 blood thinners. I have been cold ever since. I bought a Milwaukee electric coat and a Milwaukee electric vest. They are the best thing I have bought for shooting in cold weather. A full charged battery will last around 3 hours. If you have USB port in your car or truck you can charge the battery while driving.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts