Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone using for winter shooting coats.I would like have something water proof and wind proof. Just looking for options and reviews!

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Not sure about water proof... but myself and now several of the guys I shoot with have all purchased the Wild Hare winter coats.. absolutely awesome coats... and to be honest.. call me a pussy ... but we don't shoot in the rain..

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The warmest light coat , I ever outgrew was a polartec jacket.
If I was going to order a custom fit shooting coat, it would be Shoot The Moon
If you want really warm ,the Milwaukee battery heated coats are very nice.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have the Wild Hare Winter Coat but I can't remember the last time I wore it.

I prefer wearing a wool pullover, as they seem to be less bulky, and gun mounts easier for me.

As for the rain, that is not for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a John Storm jacket and absolutely love it! It keeps me really warm, while being waterproof and serving as a pretty good windbreaker with the material it’s made of. I would definitely recommend trying one before you buy though, since they are rather expensive.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Bob Allen
Very popular once but I don't think they are still made; nor are the 10-X coat, nor the Browning fleece coat/jackets.

I lucked into a Cabelas "light hunting" jacket in their "Bargin Cave". Great price, great "hand-warmer pockets", sized a bit small. Pockets aren't great for holding shells but it's okay with a shell bag. Not great but I'm glad I have it for when my 10-X disintegrates completely.

Since it's my intention not to shoot in real cold weather I mostly wear a vest over a insulated "Coach's Baseball Jacket", with a soft knitted collar. Most mens jackets have huge collars that interfere with gun-mount.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Any softshell jacket will keep wind and rain off you. They can be had for about $50. I would not suggest using in a downpour but they will keep you dry in a light rain. For even more warmth, add a thin fleece jacket under it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wild Hare Coat is excellent!! Their zippers suck, but the coat is warm and wind proof. Plenty of pocket space and an inside pocket for glasses etc. Ron

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I've worn a storm jacket for years with a zip out liner. Still have a Bob Allen in the d u came that I wear occasionally. That ones getting pretty long in the tooth.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've worn a storm jacket for years with a zip out liner. Still have a Bob Allen in the d u came that I wear occasionally. That ones getting pretty long in the tooth.
What is everyone using for winter shooting coats. I would like have something water proof and wind proof. Just looking for options and reviews!
NICA 5 with a fleece vest under or an orero electric heated vest under for extreme cold or extended outdoors moderate cold. Thay's only for Sporting or Skeet as I don't attempt Trap in extreme conditions. I've had my full helping of cold fingers!

·
Registered
298 Posts
The Wild Hare Hydro Elite jacket with a wool shirt under it, or the NICA Design 7 shooting jacket, on the two days per year it is actually cold enough to need such a thing around here.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,414 Posts
I wear a Catalina short jacket. Nylon outer shell with insulated lining. Light weight, wind proof, rain resistant (i coat it every year with Scotch Guard water repellent) water/rain/snow rolls right off. Comes down to a little below my waist. I use a belt with a shell pouch and empty bag. Works great and is warm.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Down jacket with a down vest. The down crushes down to nothing when the gun is mounted so it doesn't change the LOP as much.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts