Trapshooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1972 BT 99 Winchester SuperX model 1
161 Posts
Not satisfying but most memorable would be watching my dad shoot with the Winchester rep. Shooting Winchester guns and shells, he ran 100 singles, 100 Handicap, and 98 doubles. When he called for the last pair the trap kid popped his head out and my dad nearly shot it off his body. He shot the 1st target in doubles right out of the house. He ended up missing the last pair. I can still hear the Winchester rep yelling "shoot the bastard"!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Running 100 from the 27 to get my grand slam. Running my first 200 from sixteens and backing it up with winning out of state in a shootoff at Missouri state shoot. Winning the second pigeon shoot I went to with 29 out of 30, ( blew the 30th bird over the fence with the second shot), breaking 299 twice, missed a sixteen on one, a handicap on the other. Mostly getting a chance to shoot with and be in shoot offs with some of the best. There's some memories there I really cherish.

·
5,524 Posts
My Club in Illinois puts on a summer Handicap Shoot and one year in particular stands out... shooting late as thunder storms were rolling in. In the shoot off had to endure a torrential downpour in a five way shoot off... went 9/10 and took the event.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Mine is different this year in ATA shoots I could of stood in a Barn and not hit a wall, not good.
The bright side to me was I shot league in Dubuque IA and won High Gun in a Trap Handicap League and 50x50 in shoot off birds.
I also shot League in Potosi WI in a Singles League and was High Gun there also with 247x250.
Two leagues at two places and High Gun at both.
The best part of all of this is the People I meet and shoot with !
I also liked that a Remington Auto won both so younger shooters know they to can be competitive with a affordable gun.
I just had Fun.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Putting all my shots in the "V" ring at 600m with an M16A2. I only finished in the middle of the pack, but it was still quite a confidence builder.

Shotgunwise, getting my 100 straight (Dropped the 115th bird) and still losing to a friend who dropped a bird in the first 25, and a few more as we went, but I got my 100 patch (and 75, too) and he still didn't have a 50.

Winning decent money at Annies a few times come to mind, too.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
2006 Arizona state shoot at Red Mountain trap club. The first shoot where I was in the 90s for every event. Got into the calcuta. Shooring 10 per post dropped 3 in the first 50. Thought well thats expensive practice now just relax and enjoy. Shot my first 50 for a 97. Playing gin waiting for the results was getting grief for dozing off. Got called for the shoot offs, because of yardage distance shooting by myself. The second post, 5 until that shoot hard rights were my struggle, ink balled all five and hard rights at that. Had to stop my fingers from tingling on the third and fourth post last post told my self to just take care of business. That finished my first ever 75 straight and took runner up. A year later 24, 25, 25, 24 same scenario for shoot off, 25 again the championship trophy came home.

My two 100s are almost boring awakened those mornings where as soon as my eyes opened knew it was a one hundred straight day went out and sealed the deal. Then the only 99 I have ever shot came along .
Pleasent Valley Trap, Young Az, Sunday morning, squad ONE post one, the 23 bird I anticipated a hard right, while calling puullllllllll moved so hard to the right I couldn't get back to the straightaway. Cussed myself all the way through the next 77 birds for a 99. The suspense of waiting out the 7 other squads it seemed like every shooter was A, AA or AAA was killer. But 99 stood up.

Al

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
There are several but the most satisfying were:

1. winning the English Open DTL Championship at age 16 in 1963.
2. winning the Olympic skeet event at the NSSA World Shoot in 1975.
3. winning the Grand Prix of Europe (Olympic skeet) in 1982 after beating a Soviet shooter in the shoot-off.
4. making the 6-man flash final in the English Open Olympic Trap Championship in 1998.
5. coaching people who shot in various Olympics.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
As a newer trap shooter, I am amazed by all the accomplishments shared so far! I’ve been shooting trap for just under 3 years. ATA even less (have registered a whopping 1,600 singles targets to date).

Two weeks ago I shot just a standard match at a local club. I ran the first 75 singles, missed the first target on the last round, then ran the next 24. Tied for high score, hit the Lewis in handicap, and actually won some money!

It was my first 75 straight, but I think I’m most proud of missing that 76th target, shrugging it off and maintaining my focus to finish with a 99 (personal best).
That shows mental toughness. Great job.

·
Registered
622 Posts
1. Breaking my first 100 straight and really working my butt off for it. I remember having the shakes during those last 3 or 4 shots.

2. Earning my 27 yard punch at the Grand in 2017 which also put me in a shoot off. It was an incredible experience and the belt buckle I got is displayed proudly.

3. Breaking my first 200 straight at the 2021 Minnesota State trapshoot. This put me in a shoot off. Because of great friends providing me with shells and checking in with me between rounds I was able to win the Minnesota Singles Championship. I’ll be honest, I’ve thought about that idea a lot but didn’t think I could ever do it. Still on cloud nine.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Congrats to all ! You have done so much more and are so much better than I but I think we all have fun !
If your not having fun, why do it?

The most fun I have had, score wise is such a dud that I cannot remember what I shot. But what makes it memorable is that it was one bird better. A special one bird better, then the guy that was so proud of his $40,000 shotgun and filling my ears with it while bad mouthing my choice of shotgun. "WHAT MAKES YOU THINK, that your 400 dollar shotgun can compete with MY fourty thousand dollar wonder gun!?!?" I just said it isn't the gun it's the shooter. I had been shooting poorly, but walking onto to the first trap I prayed, "LORD please help me be one bird better." I didn't worry about the score sheet until the "dead and out call" on the last trap. And I didn't really need to look at the score sheet then, because the body language of the blowhard said it all as sulked off the field without going near the scorer's chair. It told the entire story. Not just to me but everyone that had heard his mouth. I had that one bird!

And yes it was a $40,000 DOLLAR Krieghoff with everything either factory custom or in someway built for him. I feel sorry for that shotgun!

Al

41 - 60 of 79 Posts