Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Pistol: holding three consecutive State records and being part of the State team that won the first Phillip Adams OAM overall trophy at the Nationals in 1999.

Shotgun: winning A grade high gun at 2018 trap nationals and, with Lisa, winning the inaugural ISSF mixed pairs State title in 2019, beating a pair that consisted of a current Australian representative (male) and an Olympic medalist (female), especially since every single person in the crowd was betting against us. Actually they were betting against me, as they expected Lisa to shoot well, but I was that "ex pistol guy who came from nowhere".....

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Shooting off for a doubles belt buckle against a 14 year old girl. She was up by a bird then choked on the last pair. I wear that buckle with pride. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I have 3 also.
Having the lone high score, 98 from the 27, at the 2020 Wisconsin State Shoot White Flyer Handicap
Standing next to Dagen Voigtman and watching him break ALL 400 Championship Targets at the 2020 Grand American.
Being inducted into the Minnesota Trapshooting Hall of Fame at the 2021 MN State Shoot.

Jimmy Bowen

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have 3 for me. #1 I won the first shoot that my Dad took me to at age 16. #2 I ran a 97 in the Handicap Championship at the Southern Grand a few years back to win the Veterans Trophy in very windy conditions. #3 I ran one of the hundreds in a 497 squad at Hamilton Gun Club a few years ago.
All really good times for me in our great sport.
Devonian.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don’t shoot registered trap, but do shoot registered sporting clays, 5 stand, and fitasc. Broke 50 straight in 5 stand, 50 straight in sporting, ended up in a shoot off for make a break with one of my shooting buddies that used to travel with me to big shoots, both of us had to shoot tie scores to get there, winner got $500.00, second got $340.00. We decided to split the money evenly before we went to the shooting platform, I won but we had a great time shooting heads up! Won the Missouri state fitasc hoa this year, even my wife was excited.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Winning the Budweiser Handicap at the Montana State shoot in Helena with a lone 98 (no more beer $)
Also a BEST shoot was a Pigeon shoot near Cordoba Argentina I attended, a proper shoot--manicured grounds and I was welcomed with open arms by the Italiano farmers that made up most of the shooters. A Hemingway day for me!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mine was during an annual “Club Challenge Shoot” at Steve Carmichael’s Las Vegas Gun Club. Program was shot with 5 man teams and consisted of 25 trap singles, 25 handicap (cannot remember the yardage), 25 skeet, 25 5 stand, 50 sporting clays, and 10 international (bunker) trap targets. The team I was on won (Nellis AFB gun club). To top it off I had the highest individual score of the entire field. I have much flashier trophies from various shooting competitions, but that “all around” one means the most to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I was 26 or 27 I went to a shoot where a bunch of clubs were competing and I ended up in a sudden death shoot off for the high handicap man title/trophy. We started at the 27 yard line and each shot singles until one missed. If we both hit then we’d move back another yard. We moved back maybe 4 or 5 yards until my opponent missed and I hit. There were probably 50 people watching and cheering at the end, and I’ve been chasing that high ever since :ROFLMAO:

The funny thing is I actually forgot my gun that day and borrowed a friends gun for the regular day shooting. That friend left before my shoot off so I had to borrow yet another gun (this time from my mom) for the shoot off! Proudest shooting moment of my life so far.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Beat Harlan in a handicap shoot off and made the cover of T&F.
First & Second 200 at 2017 Grand
Doubles Championship R UP 2020 Grand , broke 100 in the fog on the first flight out .
The best memories of all are of watching my son shooting at a high level.

·
Registered
654 Posts
As a newer trap shooter, I am amazed by all the accomplishments shared so far! I’ve been shooting trap for just under 3 years. ATA even less (have registered a whopping 1,600 singles targets to date).

Two weeks ago I shot just a standard match at a local club. I ran the first 75 singles, missed the first target on the last round, then ran the next 24. Tied for high score, hit the Lewis in handicap, and actually won some money!

It was my first 75 straight, but I think I’m most proud of missing that 76th target, shrugging it off and maintaining my focus to finish with a 99 (personal best).

·
Banned
348 Posts
Coaching 10 yr old Steven Brown until as a 14 yr old he took Trap J3 Gold in the J.O. in 2014. His 110/125 beat the great majority of even the 15-20 yr olds who shot the event, and only a handful of J3's have ever shot better in the whole history of J.O's and National Championships.

But the really amazing thing was that we did it using, as you once referred to it, a "jerry-rigged" Pat trap. One of today's top young intl. trap shooters is Lance Thompson. Lance also shot a 110 as a J3 in 2016, but he was able to practice regularly on the Keystone bunker in PA for years leading up to that. Steven and I had to fly on an airliner for 3 hours to shoot on a real bunker and were able to do that only a couple of times before the 2014 J.O.

As part of the preparation I had Steven do a whole lot of "speed trap" -- taking birds as close to the trap as humanly possible. He got amazingly good at it. Someone criticized that approach the other day but I would do the same thing again without hesitation. You don't want to shoot an actual competition that way but there is no better way to train the eyes to pick up targets and get visually locked on them quickly.

I had never even shot bunker. It was pure guesswork to figure out how to do it.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts