Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might have been helping someone else to achieve a personal best, achieving an objective you had set for yourself or winning when an extreme effort on your part was needed to beat the field.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
In 2004, I knew what score I needed to break in the handicap to win the Illinois central zone championship. I needed a 96 and I was down three going onto the last post. I broke all five for a 97 with my dad and friends watching. It was one of the highlights of my trapshooting career.

my friend Roger won the singles that weekend and my other friend Bill won the handicap. We were all so happy.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Winning the league championship with 146/150. I lost the shoot off for singles champion after going 3 rounds (125 straight singles targets) and dropping one in the fourth round, then running straight over and winning the doubles championship shootoff against 2 of the best doubles shooters around. I dropped 3 handicap targets and one of my doubles targets, shooting against a confused background of low brush, tall timber, or a long view to the hill about 1/2 mile away, depending on which field I was on and which direction the bird was flying.
It was either that, or winning the HAA runner up trophy at the Provincial shoot, which included coming second in the Handicap.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Toss up, running 100 for the 1st time was a huge hurtle or winning parent/child singles title with my son at the Wa shoot in 2017. As I recall I was 197 and he was 194 the last year he was a sub jr.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Freshman year at Purdue, shot the Indiana State Skeet shoot in 12 ga (100 straight) shoot off with a bunch of guys and overheard the gallery starting betting on me. It was the confidence booster I needed. Vandalia a few years later with our team and running my first "Grand America" 100 straight. Dad sat beside me between every trap not saying a word. He know what I needed, miss him dearly.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Either tying Clay Floyd and about 6 others for the state doubles championship, or shooting with my wife when she won the Lady's handicap, singles and doubles championships in VA.

·
What squad am I on?
GU 725 Adj Combo
8,328 Posts
I'll always be striving for more but this is my favorite so far...one of my goals for the 21 season was to get out of C class doubles... ;) ...so this one's extra special. Had a botched start to this shoot-off, had to start over when I was two targets ahead. Man I was peeved! Still ended in my favor though so all's good.

Triangle Font Space Electric blue Metal

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
This might have been helping someone else to achieve a personal best, achieving an objective you had set for yourself or winning when an extreme effort on your part was needed to beat the field.
I have 3. #1 breaking 100 off the cliffs of the old table mountain gun club in Golden Colo. Only 7 100's shot in 75 years off those cliffs. #2 I also earned the 27 in that club and not know for sure if anybody else ever did. Cliffs were 10 ft. in front of the traps with constant winds up them that could make the targets do anything. #3 breaking 100 at the Hawaii state shoot in a rain storm so severe it was filling up my shell pouch with water. Target would go about 50 ft. and almost stop before falling down. Just waited until stopped and poked it.

·
Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Citori XT
735 Posts
A few come to mind, shooting 199x200 in the singles championship at the 88th Grand, the first one I attended in 1987 in my second season of registered trap shooting. Tying and shooting off against Leo Harrison III at the 100th Grand in the Preliminary Handicap with a 96 score from 25,5yds and earning a punch to the 27 yard line and this past summer tying a fellow Alberta shooter for Non-Resident Champion at the Saskatchewan Provincial Championships with 199x200 in the Singles Championship (getting bested in shoot-offs) and again later this past summer in Swift Current, SK ending in a 4 way tie with 96x100 from 25yds for 5th place in the Rod Boll Handicap at the satellite held Canadian Championships and winning the shoot-off to capture the 5th place trophy.
And the first year I decided to try registered skeet, competing in a 4 gun event and capturing HOA and 1st place in class in all 4 gauges.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts