Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
When I was in high school I saw a used 1960 gray ford at a gas station for $50.00. It came with a hand choke. It ate gas pretty good. My first new car was a 1973 Buick Century that I paid $3,186.00. I just started out working at the bank and I took out a car loan. I remember asking my parents how would I ever be able to afford this car with payments of $68.00 per month? Those were the days.
Steve Balistreri

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello:
When I was in high school I saw a used 1960 gray ford at a gas station for $50.00. It came with a hand choke. It ate gas pretty good. My first new car was a 1973 Buick Century that I paid $3,186.00. I just started out working at the bank and I took out a car loan. I remember asking my parents how would I ever be able to afford this car with payments of $68.00 per month? Those were the days.
Steve Balistreri

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Used 1958 Buick Special in 1961 for $1400. New was a 1964 Pontiac Lemans, V8, auto tranny, a/c, etc. Was around $2450 as I recall. Gas was less than $.25 a gallon then and Sunoco had 4 or 5 grades of leaded fuel from the same pump. You could fill up for less than $3.00 and the attendents did everything from pumping the gas, checking the oil, tire pressure and cleaning the windows. Today you pay at least 10x more and get zero service.

Eric

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Used 1958 Buick Special in 1961 for $1400. New was a 1964 Pontiac Lemans, V8, auto tranny, a/c, etc. Was around $2450 as I recall. Gas was less than $.25 a gallon then and Sunoco had 4 or 5 grades of leaded fuel from the same pump. You could fill up for less than $3.00 and the attendents did everything from pumping the gas, checking the oil, tire pressure and cleaning the windows. Today you pay at least 10x more and get zero service.

Eric

·
Registered
355 Posts
'65 Corvair Corsa turbo, 4 speed, rag-top, white on white, black interior. $1400 worth of my hard earned GI paychecks in '66.

Larry

·
Registered
355 Posts
'65 Corvair Corsa turbo, 4 speed, rag-top, white on white, black interior. $1400 worth of my hard earned GI paychecks in '66.

Larry

·
Registered
518 Posts
1965 Chevy Chevelle Malibu super sport. Yellow ex, black in, 327 350 horsepower, 4 speed, positraction. I could lift the front tires off the ground, about 2 inches.

Wish that I still had that great car. Nice size trunk and plenty of power.

Philip Santos

·
Registered
518 Posts
1965 Chevy Chevelle Malibu super sport. Yellow ex, black in, 327 350 horsepower, 4 speed, positraction. I could lift the front tires off the ground, about 2 inches.

Wish that I still had that great car. Nice size trunk and plenty of power.

Philip Santos

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
1982 Toyota Corolla 2 door sport hatchback, 5 speed.

White with a blue interior.

Back when they had rear wheel drive.

That was a great car.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
1982 Toyota Corolla 2 door sport hatchback, 5 speed.

White with a blue interior.

Back when they had rear wheel drive.

That was a great car.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
1959 Triumph TR-3A Maroon with Black and white interior. Used all my saved up yard mowing money to buy it and then had to replace all 4 tires from dry rot. My dad floated me a loan for the tires that I paid back by mowing yards and shoveling sidewalks and driveways. Man was I proud of my little beast.

---Chip King ---

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
1959 Triumph TR-3A Maroon with Black and white interior. Used all my saved up yard mowing money to buy it and then had to replace all 4 tires from dry rot. My dad floated me a loan for the tires that I paid back by mowing yards and shoveling sidewalks and driveways. Man was I proud of my little beast.

---Chip King ---

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Just out of High School and I needed a car . Saw a very nice clean 1949 Ford at a gas station for sale for $100 . It was owned by an old school teacher who only used it back and forth to school and to church on Sundays (laugh). On the way home it was making so much noise like the crank was going to let go so I went to a local gas station I hung out at and put it on the lift . Needed a fill-up in the trans, may have been bone dry and after that it was one of the smoothest running cars I ever had for 3 weeks !!! Then I got headed while stopped at a red light . Thats all she wrote for that car . Joined the Navy .

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Just out of High School and I needed a car . Saw a very nice clean 1949 Ford at a gas station for sale for $100 . It was owned by an old school teacher who only used it back and forth to school and to church on Sundays (laugh). On the way home it was making so much noise like the crank was going to let go so I went to a local gas station I hung out at and put it on the lift . Needed a fill-up in the trans, may have been bone dry and after that it was one of the smoothest running cars I ever had for 3 weeks !!! Then I got headed while stopped at a red light . Thats all she wrote for that car . Joined the Navy .

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
You guys were in the money---My 1st car was a 1934 ford coupe(V8) and would it go---Pd $200.00---Had one window out on pasenger side---Kept a piece of cardboard handy to keep out the rain---Wish I still had it---Had to give it up when I went into the [email protected]

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
You guys were in the money---My 1st car was a 1934 ford coupe(V8) and would it go---Pd $200.00---Had one window out on pasenger side---Kept a piece of cardboard handy to keep out the rain---Wish I still had it---Had to give it up when I went into the [email protected]

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.