Trapshooters Forum banner

What wads for new Federal top gun hulls?

10976 35
I am just getting into reloading shot gun. I have been reloading metallic for years. I picked up a Mec 9000G. My question is the newer Federal Top Gun hulls have the white plastic bases. What wads work best for a 1 1/8 Oz load? I'm using those hulls for now as I have a bunch of shells because that's really all I can find around here right now. Do I use the same wad as with the paper base? CB2118? Or something different. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Reactions: 4th. down
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
36,815 Posts
I use CB2100-12`s in the plastic base wad Top Guns and Estates .
KS-OKIE’s post is more precise as the one he suggests is a clone of the Federal wad.

The ones I suggested are more general, but recommended too.

Reactions: MRS. KS-OKIE

· Premium Member
3,704 Posts
MadDipper, you might need the 1oz was for the newer plastic basewad hulls.
That will depend on what powder you are going to use.
The bulkier powders might work with the ‘proper’ wad. Any dense powder will need the taller 1oz was to keep the stack height up so you don’t get dished crimps.

I learned all that the hard way but never completely Understood what was going on until I read about it from the guys here.

· Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I was thinking the cb2118-12 for the first round and see how it goes. 1 1/8 Oz load that seems to be what they have listed.
I normally load CB2118-12`s in Gold Medal plastics & papers and Estates & Top Guns with the fiber base wad for 11/8 loads . The plastic base wad is shorter than the fiber one thus you will have dished crimps . The CB2100-12 fixed that problem for me and my crimps are as good or better than factory out of a Spolar loader .

· Registered
987 Posts
My experience - use the CB 12S0 (1 oz) clone for loading 1-1/8 in these new TG hulls. Even with the 12S0, I still had some slight dishing. When I first tried the 12S3 wad, I got major dishing with 1-1/8. These plastic-base TG hulls have "alot" of room inside. I'm not crazy about them.

· Registered
57 Posts
I’ve been using Claybusters 2118-12 and 2100-12, you do get a slight dish with the 12s3 in the TG hull. The data for the powder I was using had multiple loads using the 12s0 for 1 1/8oz, the crimps were a little more flat. I just picked up a bag of CB6118-12 wads and they seem to be a better fit for the plastic basewad

Attachments

· Premium Member
691 Posts
I picked up a bag of CB2100-12 wads in an attempt to make a decent reload with the new Federal Top Gun hulls with the plastic base wad.

Here's what I'm using:
Federal Top Gun Hull
Winchester 209 primer
18 grains Promo
CB2100-12 wad
1 oz Northwestern Magnum #8

It's a variation of a load on the Alliant website that calls for a Federal primer and a Federal 12S0 wad. Alliant's experts have told me on previous inquiries that a primer substitution is allowable as long as the pressure with the 'book' load is 8,500 psi or less (this load is estimated at 8,300), so I'm comfortable with the primer substitution and the CB2100-12 is listed as an allowable substitute for the 12S0 wad, so I think that's OK, too.

But... the crimps suck - rather dished. They'll shoot, but I'm not happy with them at all and I'm loath to drop a pinto bean or two in each wad. Could try it with 9/8 oz of shot, but that's going to change the pressure considerably. I could also go with a bulkier powder. Suggestions on a bulkier powder than Promo? I have some Titewad, but that's considerably less bulky than Promo. Not too stoked about these hulls.

Pete

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.