Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ton of empty Glun Club hulls and am thinking of setting up to reloading some on my 9000G. I have two powders on hand Clay Dot and 700x...looking for a decent and economical wad to load 1 1/8th oz to 1175-1180fps range using either of the powders I already have...I used to reload Gold Medals but gave them all away before moving north from Texas...I will be loading 7.5 shot ..thanks for your recipes!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like:

2 3/4-in. Remington STS/Gun Club Hull,
1 1/8oz,
Rem 209P,
DR XL1 1/8 (WAA12),
17.7gr.- 18.8gr. Clay Dot,
1145 - 1200 fps,
10,230 - 10,870 PSI

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
DownRange Econo wad. It works just as good as any other Fig.8 type, and is cheaper. No problems loading on a 9000, and VERY little, if any, plastic fouling. I would go with the Clay Dot. I found I just liked the Clays/Clay Dot shells I loaded much better than any with 700X.

·
Registered
348 Posts
WAA12 or Claybuster CB1118 or CB3118 or Downrange DRA12
All four of these work well and are at different price points for 1 1/8 oz loads.
I use 17.6grains of CLAYS with those and a Winchester primer.
Nice load... nice crimp...
Have gone as high as 5 reloads with the Gun Clubs for practice rounds.
No problems.
Art

·
Registered
557 Posts
Calvin, the Gun Clubs are factory loaded with Rem. RXP-12 wds, they are one of the best wads ever, they are great in all weather and work with your powders perfectly, use them and don't look back. incinerate em!

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
CalvinMD: bigben gave you the best advice on wads, Star4ever also on hulls, don't try to get too many trips out of the same hull. I prefer 700X with a fig.8 or TGT, CB clones are also good, had too many light-off sounding-low recoil with Down Range so they are off my list. I load 7\8 and a few 1oz and 700X (IMR powders in general) has been by far the most consistent of all the powders I've tried, Alliant (formerly Hercules) is next (probably a toss-up) ie Red Dot-Green Dot etc. you won't go wrong with either brand. Follow published data and use your scale. Ross Puls

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Chuckie68 has it right on the mark.... As simple a load as there is and as good as it gets. 700X powder would also be my choice. I have shot tons of it over the past 40 years and it never let me down, and I loaded the exact same load as Chuckie68. For 1oz loads I used 16.2gr 700X with CB1100 wads. If I were still loading with 700X I would use Downrange wads instead of the Claybusters. The DR are just a better wad, in my opinion.... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Now is the time to try 1 oz loads. I have gone to loading one ounce exclusively, and ClayDot is a great one ounce powder. I mark my GunClubs on the base and throw them after 4 marks. I got a ton of them, so I don't need to squeeze the last crispy load out of them. I use clone wads, either Claybuster or DownRange. One ounce at 1200 fps will break anything you shoot at. Mark

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a half bag of the orange WAA12s but was leary of using them since they are intended for tapered hulls and not so good in straight wall cases...always concerned about powder migration, especially with the 700X...I also have 800X and PB for handicap and Annies and looking forward to playing with my press again..its been so long...am pricing all the candidates so far..yup I'm cheap ; )

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Again, Bigben gave you some excellent advice about using the Remington wad or one of it's clones. As for me with GunClubs I use clays, WWA12 wads, and 1 1/8 oz of shot for a velocity of about 1150-1175. Works great out of my Perazzi. I use the WWA wad as I have a ton of them. Never (yet) had a problem. Mike....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.