Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used planetary polisher for use on countertops/floors/etc. I have a bit of cement floor to polish in my basement and I picked this tool up pretty cheap considering what they sell for new.

It is an Inter-tool DS301. Basically a Fein angle grinder motor turns a steel spur gear which spins a plastic spur gear (more a plate) which as it orbits the sprockets with the velcro backing pads turn in the opposite direction as the sprockets engage with a fixed chain underneath.

I have pulled the thing apart and have will be ordering some new parts to replace the worn ones (ie green spur gear/plate has a bunch of missing/broken/or worn out teeth).

I cleaned all the gunk off and the pictures show what I have left.

So my question is: what type of grease should I use on the chains and sprockets? Any specific recommendations? The sprockets turn at about 250-300 rpm max and the tool weighs just under 40# sitting on the 3 pads/sprockets.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Dan

ds301 first pic.jpg
IMG_2579.JPG
IMG_2580.JPG
ds301 first pic.jpg
IMG_2579.JPG
IMG_2580.JPG

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mobil 1 grease will do nicely, I'd bet, as would any decent automotive grease. None of your numbers are anything wild. It'll probably be more than adequate.
Mike B

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think you would want a 'high tack' grease - just to counter the centrifugal forces.

Google is your friend - high tac grease - Google Search
Thanks, as far as greases go, laying around I have some red sticky stuff, some normal heavy duty bearing grease and some spray on white lithium grease plus the Super Lube I use on my guns. I thought it would be helpful to ping some people with more machinery experience than me to see if there is a prevailing opinion on which would be best for a mostly dry, but also wet environment if I chose to do some wet grinding in the courser grits.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
With the low RPM it's running look into a can of motorcycle chain lube. It's a spray can and should work great for you. It thickens after it sprays and sticks good.

·
Premium Member
12,022 Posts
If you have 'red sticky stuff' I'd just use that...

Reactions: djldb6

·
Registered
165 Posts
+1 for motorcycle chain lube at that rpm. it sprays on as a penetrating liquid so it soaks into the chain pins and rollers, and then turns into light grease

1 - 7 of 7 Posts