Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 Month old Browning 725, I really like it, Now with some down time from shooting, this is something I thought alot about but never had time.
Whats the best thing I could treat the underside surfaces of the stock with, heard many things, someone with actual experience please give me some info.
Or is it even necessary at all?

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Doesn’t sound like a bad idea to me but maybe an unnecessary one, not sure on that.
Never heard of doing this but is your gun so do with it as YOU please, good luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Tru oil will seal it. I’ve have used for many years. I also have a double barrel that wasn’t sealed and got wet , got stored and under forend it swelled

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I use a clear polyurethane varnish thinned a lot with mineral spirits and brush it everywhere on the inside, let it soak a little, then wipe off all on the surfaces and let it dry. Takes a lot of different techniques to get it though the stock bolt hole. The idea is to let it soak in throughly but not get much build on the surface.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I always seal the insides of the wood with Tru-oil thinned with some mineral spirits. You don't want to gob it on thick or build up layers, just a quick coat or two to seal the wood. Also make sure to seal under the recoil pad. The end grain of the stock can soak up a lot of water.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
I just applied polyurethane. I was concerned about untreated wood could absorb water and swell. I usually can keep water off the stock by leaving it in the truck but sometimes I get caught in the rain.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Glad you have a gun you like to shoot!

I prefer to not seal the 'inside parts' of my gun stocks. I want any moisture that is in the stock (regardless of how it got there) to be able to evaporate out. After shooting in the rain, I am careful to disassemble the gun and stock let all parts dry thoroughly before reassembling. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
We got stuck in a hard down pour two yrs. ago and a fellow shooter with a browning his forearm swelled so much I thought sure it would crack before the day was done,he took it home and had to take all the forearm metal off to relieve it and took two weeks for the swelling to go down.I now believe in sealing raw wood.I shot my Mod.12 trap left my Kolar combo in the truck,the Mod.12 wood was very much oil soaked and the hard rain washed it all out so I had to apply more when I got it dried out had to completely tear down every part.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been caught in many downpours and have never had an issue. I wiped down right after each wet shoot and pulled the stock and dried off when I got home.

I believe that the manufacturers and custom stock makers don't seal them for a reason. I have seen bedding compound but never sealer on any of my stocks (Browning, Caesar Guerini, Fabarm, Perazzi, Krieghoff) The inside of the forends all seem to be stained but not sealed.

Just my $.02

Dave

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Watco Danish Oil Finish is highly penetrating and an easy wipe on and wipe off.

Surface does not build up and therefore should not affect fitment.

jk

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
As John Trigger mentioned above. Get the small round tin of Renaissance wax , apply it to desired surfaces and throw it in your shooting bag. I've used it for years and it protects without any mess.
Steve

1 - 20 of 37 Posts