Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were planning on shooting today but it is raining outside :( What precuations do I need to use? Anything special need done to the gun after I shoot it? Cleaning?? Thanks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Clean and oil it. Keep a towel and oil wipes with you so you can dry it off and oil it before casing it. When you get home do a thorough cleaning job.

If it really starts raining hard I flip my towel over the action while its open.

·
Registered
838 Posts
In the rain I hope I have not paid it is becoming tough for me to enjoy shooting in the rain or cold. Jerry

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Wear a hat with a bill long enough to keep the water off of your shooting glasses. If it is a warm day, they will probably mist up real quick anyway.

Don't shoot Federal Papers, especially reloads, as some may swell and separate upon firing. If you absolutely have to shoot paper shells, keep them dry under a rain jacket until you load them into the action.

I was shooting Federal paper reloads once when it started to rain and when the shell fired, the front section of the hull separated from the base. I was able to pull a few separated hulls out of the chamber but, after a while, one separated hull went forward about 18" and became lodged in the barrel. I had to finish the round with a backup gun and plastic shells.

One thing about shooting in the rain, you can often see where your shot string goes.

Ed Ward

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
If you're female, wear a white t-shirt without a bra. You'll have no problems finding male suitors to properly de-water your favorite shotgun.

Guy B.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
My inclination when it's raining is to stand in front of the fire while eating, drinking, and telling fibs.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.