Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO:
i was at work last night and a woman ask him what size turkey did i purchase for thanksgiving? told her my father did not like turkey and we always have capons. she said "what the heck is a capon?" have any of you ever had capons?
i told her to look it up in the dictionary. any of you have capon instead of turkey? what else do some of you eat for thanksgiving beside the above 2 mentioned items?
steve balistreri

·
Registered
959 Posts
A Capon is a rooster that has been castrated and has no reproductive organs ..They grow very well and are not agresive .They also weigh more than most chickens and are more tender.. They are a great eating are bigger than chickens..

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
My wife is of Italian/Sicilian origins and when we were engaged her mom invited me to come for Thanksgiving dinner. Much to my suprise and delight we sat down to a traditional Italian feast, antipasta, soup, home made lasagna that was out of this world, brajiole (little meat things that tasted great), meatballs that were about the size of tennis balls and some other items that I'm sure I ate and forgot....

During the meal I was getting poked in the ribs by my future wife and she was wispering "take it easy there's lots of food!". Yea, yea ...I was 21 years old and had a typical college students "bottomless pit" appetite. So I ate.

Little did I know ... after the Italian feast. (by this time my tummy was as tight as a snare drum) Mom brought out the TURKEY!! Complete with stuffing and the usual trimmings. Those folks knew how to eat! Now I know why Jan was warning me .. truly a Thanksgiving to remember ... 1972

Bob Schultz

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
A capon is to a rooster as a steer is to a bull. My grandfather had caponizing tools and showed me how. I couldn't do it again, but the old sexless roosters get big and tender and really good> They are not cheap, but are worth it.

Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.