Trapshooters Forum banner

What states do the best trapshooters come from?

7021 Views 76 Replies 44 Participants Last post by  charleyj10
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I’m curious what states or areas of the country produce the best trapshooters? My late grandfather was very involved in competitive trapshooting (ATA) when I was a very young boy (over 40 years ago). He mostly stayed in the southwest region, and he said back then that California shooters were tough to beat. It makes sense to me now, taking weather into account, but thought it was interesting. What is your take on where the best trapshooters come from, as a whole?
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· Premium Member
8,263 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I’m curious what states or areas of the country produce the best trapshooters? My late grandfather was very involved in competitive trapshooting (ATA) when I was a very young boy (over 40 years ago). He mostly stayed in the southwest region, and he said back then that California shooters were tough to beat. It makes sense to me now, taking weather into account, but thought it was interesting. What is your take on where the best trapshooters come from, as a whole?
When you want to conclude the info you desire, averages while relevant are only a portion of documentation.

Where they shot, what were conditions the days they registered their scores, how many targets they shoot per year, etc.

There have been a few high average or highest average shooters that never left their home area except for the Grand (Vandalia). They usually did not score near normal there especially in handicap.

All that said, Kansas has had alot and still producing.

· Registered
7,103 Posts
pheasant master is on to something. Why not pick your (the OP's) top ten annual events, then see what states have the most wins in those events? Naturally, if all of your top ten shoots are from one state, that state will probably have the most winners. So you better diversify those events.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
I'm just a casual trap shooter, but I've always heard that the best trap shooters are in New England states. Don't quote me on that because that's only what I've heard and not based on actual experience.

· Registered
10,440 Posts
Every state has an elite group of shooters that will beat most of us like a drum.
Consistency in all disciplines of trap shooting is what separates the winners from the rest.
My 2 cents, your opinion can, might, will differ.

· Registered
1,186 Posts
Not for nothing, but you would also need to adjust for total population or at a minimum, number ATA members for this to be an accurate assessment.

State A has consistently 200-300 ATA members but has 5 members in the ATA HOF, on this year's all American list, or whatever measurement you want to use.
State B has consistently 1000 ATA members but only has 1 member in the same measurement tool.

I'd say state A is doing better.

This is a subjective question no matter how you look at it, but I am also curious.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Years ago there was a controversy about a Rocky Mountain Western State lady shooter that made her state team while only shooting targets in Arizona during the Winter Chain shoots.
Should she be one of her states top guns?
No.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.