Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a house that was built in 1841.

It has been cold here where I live and when its cold and windy I will cut on the heat in the dinning room and the above bathroom. I will also drip the water in the bathroom. I did everything I needed to to keep the pipes from freezing.

I got up at 6:30am and everything was fine. I got back at 6:30pm and found this in the dinning room.

I don't know if the pipe failed or it froze. I will know more once I take down the sheet rock.

But the question I have right now is should I put up sheet rock again or should I put a trap door up so to have easy access to the pipes that are there?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If the pipes have frozen you might want to put up ceiling registers so that heat from the living space can get into the voids where the affetced plumbing is. I have had this happen twice and that is how I solved the problem. The registers can be closed in warm weather.

Also, insulating the voids on outside walls and ceilings is extremely helpful.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pipes that go up the wall to the upstairs bathroom are insulated. Where I think the brake is is halfway from the wall to the light from the ceiling. So they are the inside pipes. The vents are a good idea. I will have to see how they would look when up but yes that is a good idea. Thanks

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Temperature had to be some cold for the pipe to freeze in the ceiling. Is there somehow a small hole/draft to the outside? Good luck, not fun.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
I would guess the drain line has developed a leak, if it was a supply line there would be water gushing when it thawed out

Or possibly condensation on the lines from the cold water running through the drain and possibly high relative humidity

·
Registered
364 Posts
How about installing a suspended ceiling? That way you could access the pipes at any time by removing one of the ceiling panels. The ceiling tiles also provide good insulation and if a leak does occur, just replace the water stained tile. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took the ceiling down just enough to get to the pipes. A friend went to the basement and cut on one line at a time. None of the water pipes leaked at all. I think the problem is is the cast iron drain pipe. There is a lot of rust on the bottom of it and on the sheet rock mold. I will replace the wax ring n the toilet and see if time how it looks with water running.

·
Registered
606 Posts
My house was built in 1845-47. All the rooms here have ceiling registers. They would look correct to the period. Your woodwork looks nice, most of ours was trashed before we bought the place.

ctreay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts