Trapshooters Forum banner

What reloaders are these?

3442 Views 32 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Nebs
Looking for help identifying the make and model of the three reloaders below and their estimated value. I know the one is a Pacific but unsure of the model. All three are in good working order. If you were to purchase one which would it be? Thanks for the help.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
304 Posts
The 2nd one is one of the Apex loaders from Hornady.
The 366 is missing too many features to attract my purchase.
The Apex is no longer supported by Hornady.
I'd pass on purchasing all 3.

· Premium Member
8,121 Posts
Pay attention to Slowpoke, he's the 366 expert. The one in the pic is a very early model. It does not have auto advance, swing-out wad guide, powder/shot shut-offs or the updated primer cup with divot. And there appears to be something attached to the die head next to the right of the charge bar (appears to be painted blue), I can't identify. Pasasdena...

· Registered
210 Posts
The first one is a Lee Load Fast as RickN said. I bought one new when I first got into shooting clays about 30 years ago. It would produce maybe 1 good shell out of 5. I have no idea about the 2nd. The Pacific 366 in the 3rd photo looks like it an older version without some of the nicer features of the newer machines. As others have said, I'd pass on all of them.

· Registered
3,963 Posts
The number 2 (Apex) seems like someone took it apart and did not put the pieces back. The black ring hanging off the operating handle is part of the shell plate advance (rotate) mechanism. Also missing is the rod with the two round edges and pins that would connect the primer tray rotating feed wheel and the size/deprime die that drives the rod to turn the wheel to drop a primer.

There does not appear to be the auto-rotate and gas cylinder mechanism to rotate the shell plate. Also, I am not sure what the rod sticking out of the primer "push" bar (that pushes the primer from where the drop tube drops it to the bottom pieces of the primer seater) is for. There is nothing sticking out of my Apex at that location.

The press shown seems to be missing some piece in the final crimp area. The milled out square hole with a drilled center is something I am not familiar with. It must be something particular to this model, is it maybe an Apex 2.?, if there was such a model?

On the plus side, the red paint on the shell holding casting (raising platform) does not show virtually any wear.

As for the comment that this press has "too much plastic", yes it does have plastic bushing holders and shell advance things but my press, a 3.1 Apex has continued to work loading shells for more than 20 years. It was bought as an Apex 3.0 Progressive at a Grand in Vandalia sometimes in the 90's, and the conversion kit was included in the sale since the 3.1 press had been on sale for a while. So far I have not had to replace any of the plastic pieces. It has loaded probably 25,000-30,000 rounds at least (probably more) just based on the number of Winchester primer case boxes I am still using to hold load boxes of ammo. I just completed loading a couple of thousand more rounds a month or so ago.

As for worth purchasing now? Seeing how it is missing pieces, or at least not showing the pieces, and the fact that Hornady has quit making it and thus replacement pieces for it, several years ago and if you do not have experience with it to allow you to put all the pieces together if they are actually still present but not shown in the picture, passing it by would be my choice.

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The number 2 (Apex) seems like someone took it apart and did not put the pieces back. The black ring hanging off the operating handle is part of the shell plate advance (rotate) mechanism. Also missing is the rod with the two round edges and pins that would connect the primer tray rotating feed wheel and the size/deprime die that drives the rod to turn the wheel to drop a primer.

There does not appear to be the auto-rotate and gas cylinder mechanism to rotate the shell plate. Also, I am not sure what the rod sticking out of the primer "push" bar (that pushes the primer from where the drop tube drops it to the bottom pieces of the primer seater) is for. There is nothing sticking out of my Apex at that location.
That makes a lot of sense. He did mention that he has other parts to one unit and that this one he manual advanced but has all the parts to auto advance it. He got them in a package deal and got them all working but I don't believe he has a lot of familiarity with them I believe he also has parts to configure the Apex for 16g which may be why the other shell holder ring is hanging there. I can see one installed on the device. He was originally asking $125 each but then offered me choice for $75. I could probably get all 3 even cheaper. He also offered to lend any of them to me to try before I buy.

· Registered
428 Posts
The Apex has a nice feature you remove a small screw and can dump all the powder and shot out of the press …. And onto your reloading bench.

It’s been about twenty years since I sold mine. But there is a 2.5 connector between the clear plastic gear box and the primer tray. I broke this piece, the brass tube had a plastic sleeve at the end where it touches down on the turret. I smashed this and bent the drop tube. I did something to the wad flipper assy. maybe lowered the press with the flipper halfway in or not and broke this part. All the parts failed due to operator error.

I still have the nice Apex press cover only it sits on top of another MEC press. I was unable to break this bit of goodness.

The apex makes a nice reload but not for a novice Reloader. Fast and smooth operation but when it goes bad you need to find spare parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
8,311 Posts
That makes a lot of sense. He did mention that he has other parts to one unit and that this one he manual advanced but has all the parts to auto advance it. He got them in a package deal and got them all working but I don't believe he has a lot of familiarity with them I believe he also has parts to configure the Apex for 16g which may be why the other shell holder ring is hanging there. I can see one installed on the device. He was originally asking $125 each but then offered me choice for $75. I could probably get all 3 even cheaper. He also offered to lend any of them to me to try before I buy.
#1-$30

#2-$40 (provided you had a functional unit and wanted it for parts).

#3-I'd probably give $75

All three are really tinker toys in my opinion.

6,495 Posts
The Apex has a nice feature you remove a small screw and can dump all the powder and shot out of the press …. And onto your reloading bench.

It’s been about twenty years since I sold mine. But there is a 2.5 connector between the clear plastic gear box and the primer tray. I broke this piece, the brass tube had a plastic sleeve at the end where it touches down on the turret. I smashed this and bent the drop tube. I did something to the wad flipper assy. maybe lowered the press with the flipper halfway in or not and broke this part. All the parts failed due to operator error.

I still have the nice Apex press cover only it sits on top of another MEC press. I was unable to break this bit of goodness.

The apex makes a nice reload but not for a novice Reloader. Fast and smooth operation but when it goes bad you need to find spare parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GunsUp... If you're ever inclined to part with your Apex cover...let me know?!

Obviously, you were not enamored with the Apex... and I get it... I like the loaders, learned to work them, still use my 3.1s, however they require diligence.

I'd jump on that 3.1... it's mostly all there... needs a few parts... but it's a fully progressive

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.