Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting into reloading. I plan to reload some 12 GA AA shells to 1 1/8 oz with WAA12 wads and Win 209 primers to about 1200 FPS. I shoot a 1100 so I'm looking for something that burns clean. What powder do you use for this application?
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
What Ahab sez...lots of powders will do what you want..grab whatever you can get...Red Dot Claydot Promo..just 3 among many that will work in what you're proposing

·
Banned
302 Posts
Winchester AA Super Handicap seems to be that some folks still have on the shelves. I bought it at Cabelas a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Went to one ounce years ago for all but caps. Using Titewad if i can get it.

Clays works good for both loads.

As said, what you can find these days.

HM

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Winchester AA Hull,
Winchester 209 Primer,
Winchester AA12 Wad,
Winchester Super Handicap Powder 19.5gr,
1 1/8 OZ Shot,
1,200 FPS,
9,700 PSI Pressure,

Bump the powder to 20.9gr and you have the
Duplicate of the Factory Super Handicap Load.
1255 FPS, 11,300 PSI

Weigh the powder charge to establish the proper
bushing! Do not use book recommended bushing.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
At this time you will be lucky to find any powder. So one can't be too choosy when there is nothing to choose from.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Since you are all Winchester componets here I would use Super Target if you can get it. But the small flakes of the Ball powder that Winchester uses may clutter up your reloading area from powder getting past the bar.
Super Target seems to have low felt recoil compared to most powders.
[But that may be in my head]
19gr./1145fps 20gr./1200fps with 1 1/8 oz. shot

But with todays low powder inventories use what you can get.
700X, Red Dot, Green Dot, Promo, etc.....

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Green Dot would be a great powder for the 3 dram loads mentioned and there is plently of potential for even heavier loadings. It is also one of the few powders that a person can still find in a few places where as Clays is all but extinct.

·
0 Posts
18.2 grains of Clays will get you very close to what you want.

Personally I like red and greed dot, but I wouldn't say that they are clean. Clays is clean.

·
Registered
488 Posts
This thread made me think of why anyone cared if a powder burned a little dirty? I always clean my gun after shooting anyway! I shoot a break action gun! But then I realized that those folks that shoot gas operated semi,s would appreciate a cleaner powder, simply from the standpoint of making the gas system easier to clean and keep clean. Learn something new every day! Good post, my apologies for getting a little off topic.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
whatever powder you use LOOK UP THE RECIPE AND FOLLOW IT COMPLETELY. I get very tired of guys dickin around with recipes and having bad shells on the line. Bill

·
Registered
909 Posts
Claydot

1 - 20 of 29 Posts