Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have not loaded these before - what powders do I need - H110 or 2400 for 410 and Universal for 28ga? Please advise -

·
Registered
18 Posts
For the .410 use Winchester 296 or its counterpart H110. For all intent an purpose's they are the same powder. I use the Milsurp WC820, but its getting harder to find, an more expensive.

For the 28 I use Longshot. If you're using the old style HS hulls (Not the CF hulls) you'll have problems getting it all in there using Universal, its to bulky. If you're using the new style HS hulls (read longer hulls) you won't have any problems with Universal.

Oh, one other thing. Stick with the Winchester HS hulls. They last longer an reload better than the Remington STS's.

·
Registered
11,393 Posts
Winchester 296 or its counterpart H110 or Hodgdon Lil' Gun for .410

Hodgdon Universal Clays for 28 (I use it for 20 gauge too.)

·
Supporting Vendor
5,385 Posts
Winchester 296 or Hodgdon 110 works well in the .410. They are the same powder (Hodgdon packages it for Winchester). Lil'Gun is a bit dirty and too loud.

I prefer Hodgdon HS-6 for the 28 gauge. It is soft shooting and less bulky than the other 28 gauge powders.

Jim Skeel

·
Registered
11,393 Posts
"Lil'Gun is a bit dirty and too loud. "

Geez Jim, in a .410? What...it goes "pop" insted of "pip"? The guys I shoot with (who all shoot 12 gauge guns for skeet) like to chide me by asking, did your gun go off??? We never heard it."

"I prefer Hodgdon HS-6 for the 28 gauge. It is soft shooting..."

Jim, come on...with a 28 gauge the difference in recoil might be compared as being hit with a feather pillow, versus being hit with a foam pillow.

I'm just kidding, you know...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Alliant 410 and Alliant 20/28. Second choices are H110 and Longshot. Actually, I use all of them depending on the hull I'm using.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I like the Winchester 296 for the .410 and Unique for the 28g. Surprised Unique had not been mentioned up to this time; it can also be used in the 20 gauge which gets one more powder off the bench. ..............AJ

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Universal for 28 ga, Lil' Gun for 410....all 410 powders are dirty and the Lil' Gun will give you less migration headaches.

Cheers

·
Registered
129 Posts
This looks like the perfect place to ask so here goes:

I have some Winchester 3" paper hulls but can't find any loading data for them. I have some Win 296 and Lil'Gun with a good supply of WAA410 wads that I would like to load. Can anyone help?

I also have some old Federal 410 primers but can't find many receipts for them. If anyone can give me some direction it would be appreciated.

Respectfully,

Alex Ragulsky

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been usig Unique now for 25 years and love it, it can be used also in 12 ga and of course 28 ga. It was great for in since in the beginning i could not afford 2 or 3 powders in order to try to shoot all for guns in my younger E=3 and E 4 days. In the 410 i have been happy with Scots 4100 with was reccommeded to me by an olser shooter who is a great shoot he in Nc by the name of Harold Powell . Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.