Trapshooters Forum banner

What Makes the Grand Grand

2799 Views 22 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  SEMO
It’s been a hectic summer, so our Grand excursion was fairly short this year, Thursday and Friday of prelims. Attended with my 18 / 15 year old daughters and 7 year old son.

I accidentally parked a bit further away than planned for yesterday’s handicap. So, a little bit of a walk to my bank. My son tagged along with me…

After shooting, we headed back to car, just the two of us. He was talking a mile a minute, this gun that and that shooter this…

It probably sounds dumb, but those 5 minutes walking together was grand (and it’s not like we don’t spend lots of time together at home). There was something about the environment and just enjoying it together. It was grand at the Grand!

What about you, any simple memories with family or friends?
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
732 Posts
Thanks for taking me back in time about 50 years. If only for a few seconds, I was with my father again walking off a field!!! Keep up the good work. break em all Jeff
I could not have said it better Jeff! Reading the original post I too was taken back to being a teenager and attending the Grand with my folks in the mid/late '70's.

My youngest daughter has been to Sparta with my wife and I twice, and our hope is to go back next year. Walking along the line and seeing the people, and taking it all in with family IS a very special moment. "Thisjed"...thanks for posting! - Jeff

· Premium Member
8,299 Posts
It’s been a hectic summer, so our Grand excursion was fairly short this year, Thursday and Friday of prelims. Attended with my 18 / 15 year old daughters and 7 year old son.

I accidentally parked a bit further away than planned for yesterday’s handicap. So, a little bit of a walk to my bank. My son tagged along with me…

After shooting, we headed back to car, just the two of us. He was talking a mile a minute, this gun that and that shooter this…

It probably sounds dumb, but those 5 minutes walking together was grand (and it’s not like we don’t spend lots of time together at home). There was something about the environment and just enjoying it together. It was grand at the Grand!

Great experience that both of you will remember.

For me, there are simple, elaborate, complex and intense memories from this being my 47th year.

I still remember the first year going to the Grand back in 74'. Dad drove all night after having worked all day. Grandpa in the shotgun seat and ma and me in the back. We also had a little puppy I got from the neighbor the day before we left. He never uttered a whine or peep all 780 miles. He was mascot for many years traveling far and wide.

· Registered
1,360 Posts

Reminds me of my son after baseball games , even when he was a senior in college those after the game talks are some of my favorite memories.

· Registered
13,015 Posts
Lots of great memories. My first Grand was in 1980 . My wife was LA. state ladies champion and she was shooting in the Champion of Champions event. Rudy Etchen was shooting outof our home club and a bunch of us went up to see Rudy Etchen inducted into the HOF. W e have several pictures from then . One that stands out is my wife Rudy and Lela Hall Frank together . Rudy took me around and introduced me to several of the all time greats. I still remember shaking hands with big Don Orlich. He was a giant of a man and had a handshake like a pair of Vie Grips ! Another great memory was shooting with my Daughter in the 100 year anniversary Grand. Being in the Military I didn't get to go to as many as I would liked because I could rarely get leave then. For a long time kids weren't in school yet and a lot of guys were taking their vacation leave just before school started. Since I retired from the military I have only missed one due to illness. At almost 72 I know I don't have many left but ,plan on going as long as I can pick up a gun.

· Registered
86 Posts
Heard a woman tell a man "Good luck Dad" as he walked to line to shoot on the squad before me yesterday. I noticed she was taking pictures while he shot. I talked to the daughter while waiting for the squad to finish the next round, she said her Dad was 82. Her brother and sister were also coming to watch him shoot at the Grand. We talked when he came off the field, he was a really nice man and happy his daughter was there with him. Good memory for them and me!

· Registered
427 Posts
Not at the Grand but at the PA state shoot this year, my son, daughter and I all ran 25 on the same trap. I fired the last shot on the squad to seal the deal. They didn't realize it at first, so I'm not sure if it made as much of an impression on them. We don't all shoot together as often recently so I'm not sure when we'll have a chance to do it again. It was a very special moment for me and one I'll carry for a lifetime.

· Registered
3,174 Posts
A small group of us (4) from the same area in VA started going to the preliminary week a couple of years ago, most of us had been to Vandalia years ago. It's turned into a road trip for shooting and shopping, basically Grandpa's go to the Grand, this year it was 10 of us. I'm the youngest at 62, 80 was the oldest. We have already made plans to go back next year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.