Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to start shooting doubles but have been working to improve my singles scores before trying doubles. I don't want to backslide on the singles shooting so I am really looking for advice on when to start shooting doubles and any advice on shooting doubles I can glean from the better and more experienced shooters here.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Watch some videos, get a high-level local to give you some guidance or take a clinic, then get in the game. Doubles can be frustrating at first, but you will come to love it and prefer doubles to singles any day. Besides, to shoot doubles successfully, you have to have your gun fit you well and STAY ON THE STOCK for both shots and only move when you see the target clearly. If you discipline yourself to do that, your entire game will improve. Twice the fun in half the time.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Coming from a Sporting Clays back ground and I love to shoot. I just jumped right in shooting all 3 trap events. In fact my doubles score was better than my Singles when I first started, since I knew where the targets would be. I had to learn what hold points worked for me in Singles and Handicaps.

Jason

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
What Scott said mate....I think doubles will help your singles and handicap from the standpoint of focusing on first bird hits and finding the second bird. Technique important, hence the videos can help. There are lots of different ways to shoot them, but start off with the basic fundamentals then learn what hold point works for you.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
[QUOTE="pheasantmaster, post:

They will, done correctly, accelerate your overall game.
[/QUOTE]

If you could only practice one thing that would benefit your shooting the most it would be doubles.
It teaches you to/
1. Stay in the gun
2. Reinforce hand eye quardination
3. Maintain lead and followthrough.

No way that doubles hurts your singles.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Wait until you have a gun that you have a lot of confidence in. Shoot quality ammo that you have a lot of confidence in. Don't short squad until you have a lot of confidence. Don't make a bunch of excuses that erodes your confidence!

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I would not suggest any type of self imposed singles ave. in order to start doubles type of thing. Get started as soon as you can and really spend some time building a foundation.

Get some instruction either in person or via video and work thru the basics. Use lite shells and have fun.
George mentions a good point...light shells! They will help you stay in the gun and see the target better. Pheasantmaster helped me with that tip. Don't need 3 drams to shoot doubles...(that comment gonna get me some responses I'm sure ;)

·
Registered
896 Posts
No time like the present, shooting doubles is the best part of the day, they are fun, fast and you don't really have time to think, just shoot, keep the wood on the wood and follow through, burn up a bunch of that hard to get and expensive ammo 🤣 😜

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I really want to start shooting doubles but have been working to improve my singles scores before trying doubles. I don't want to backslide on the singles shooting so I am really looking for advice on when to start shooting doubles and any advice on shooting doubles I can glean from the better and more experienced shooters here.
Start Saturday!!!

Reactions: rapid86

·
5,550 Posts
Singles and Handicap require a certain consistency. Doubles has it's own structure and consistency.

IMO I never found that Doubles built on single targets and vice versa. Doubles is it own animal.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
If you have the shells, and if you have 2 straight in singles, its time to start. With the shortage of shells, if you have access to your club's trap to practice by yourself on an off time, I do poor man's doubles. I lock the trap to throw the second bird to the left side, I then start on post 1 and set up for my first bird, call pull(or whatever you say) say bang in my head (because I have an inertia trigger) and swing to the 2nd bird and smoke it! I do this till I get to post 4 and lock the trap to the right for the 2nd bird. Go have fun!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Different game, targets don't have random flight paths. Don't wait to shoot, its the fastest and funnest way to go through 100 shells.
Out here in the windy west our doubles targets definitely have random flight paths, haha! I’ve seen great singles shooters who suck at doubles, so clearly singles score doesn’t directly correlate to doubles and vice versa.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Start yesterday! As for shells, 1145 fps 1 1/8 #8 promo loads will work well for both birds for a while. I sometimes shoot 1 oz. loads for first shot, tell myself it reduces recoil and lets me get on the second bird quicker. Having said that, the best scores I've shot (low - mid 90's a couple of years ago) have been with AA light target 8's in both barrels, so the 1 oz advantage may all be in my head. Watch a video, Leo's is great! Others are also good I'm sure. Have fun!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts