Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this gun. Stock built by Phil Simms. Grain figure is outstanding with very similar grain on each side. Anyone know anything about what the wood is (Species)?
Thanks, Marc

SILVER SEITZ 016.jpg

·
Registered
507 Posts
It looks like curly maple with a few birds eyes in it. The best species I would say it is " very nice wood". enjoy.
The gun looks like it would a beauty to shoot.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I am curious also. If it is maple, it's the nicest maple stock I've ever seen.

If you find out for sure after talking to Phil, it would be great if you would post your findings.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I do not think it is maple. maple is very hard to stain, and this gun is dark wood and clearly not stained maple. It is a type of walnut for sure.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I do not think it is maple. maple is very hard to stain, and this gun is dark wood and clearly not stained maple. It is a type of walnut for sure.
Now the finish could have a toner in it that is making it look this dark, then it could be maple, but without it in my hands I can't be sure.

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
Dang It Man!!!---Can we at least be sure that its a type of "Wood"??? I mean Really!!! Its just the start of Winter to Boot!!! Oh Boy!!! break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
I,m from northern Ca. where a good percentage of Claro comes from. I have a very good friend that cuts gunstock blanks. I've seen hundreds of fence post grade to exhibition grade claro. I do not think that this is walnut.Enlarge the photo of the butt stock. I believe that it is Birdseye maple. Bill

1 - 20 of 24 Posts