Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III shotgun with a wood option Beretta calls “Lusso”. Does anyone know what kind of wood it is (Claro walnut, black walnut, etc.) ?

·
Premium Member
12,593 Posts
Maybe...

Beretta buys woods blanks by the container full. On the road to their factories there are warehouses stacked to the ceiling with wood blanks - think Home Depot or Costco sized. They cannot afford to pick individual blanks - they tend to do so by groupings (looks to be 500 ~ 1,000 stock blanks in one group).

They are unloaded, and stacked, at some point they are inspected and separated - typically by weight (they seek light wood for their ultra-light guns). There is some grading done, with the higher quality wood being reserved for the higher end guns - but this is not 100%.

I have seen entry level guns with stunning wood, and I have seen high end guns (DT's, and SO's) with rather plane wood.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Without a picture there’s no way to tell if the wood is original to the gun. Most likely if it’s original Turkish walnut, now to guess wether it’s 1/4 sawn, Turkish burl, curly Turkish, marbled Turkish, or my favorite 1/4 sawn ribbon Burl.

This is like starting a thread “guess what kind of shoes I’m wearing”

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,593 Posts
I think you will find that the 'Lusso' title refers to the gun overall, and typically refers to an upgraded level of engraving or decoration on the receiver body (here is a DT-10L - https://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/344/976792023/wm_328920.jpg). Certainly one would expect to see nicer wood as well, but it refers more to the ornamentation of the metalwork...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes (Joel Etchen Signature Series). Looks great.....haven’t fired it yet as all the clubs around here are closed. Hope I like the way it shoots. I seems to fit me perfect but we’ll see how it does on the skeet field.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Slug Gun, very nice woodset no matter the type of wood. Enjoy your new gun when the ranges open up again. Good shooting, Rey

·
Registered
361 Posts
Without a picture there’s no way to tell if the wood is original to the gun. Most likely if it’s original Turkish walnut, now to guess wether it’s 1/4 sawn, Turkish burl, curly Turkish, marbled Turkish, or my favorite 1/4 sawn ribbon Burl.
Would you mind explaining the term 1/4 saw?
Thanks for your time

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
hjohn, to my knowledge which is very little according to my high school counselor. When a blank is 1/4 sawn it is cut differently at an angle out of the log. It’s a wasteful way of sawing up a log and fewer blanks can be harvested from the actual amount of wood. The blank I have pictured to my knowledge is cut like that down towards the root of the tree. Normally there’s only a blank or two that can be salvaged like that out of the stump. These blanks look good but have little strength in the wrist and normally need to be dowelled with oak or maple inside the wrist before starting. I’m risking life and limb to be padding my post count on here. But here’s a pic of how most stocks are cut.

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks for the very informative response. Without someone saying this blank is a 1/4 saw blank, would one have to rely on ones perception of the blank to determine if it is a 1/4 saw?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
hjohn, to my knowledge which is very little according to my high school counselor. When a blank is 1/4 sawn it is cut differently at an angle out of the log. It’s a wasteful way of sawing up a log and fewer blanks can be harvested from the actual amount of wood. The blank I have pictured to my knowledge is cut like that down towards the root of the tree. Normally there’s only a blank or two that can be salvaged like that out of the stump. These blanks look good but have little strength in the wrist and normally need to be dowelled with oak or maple inside the wrist before starting. I’m risking life and limb to be padding my post count on here. But here’s a pic of how most stocks are cut.
Ex1 come from Anton in Germany?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts