Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two. The first is "almost" straights from post 3. I don't always catch the slight angle and figure it to be straight.

The second is 3-hole straights from post 5. the trap gods have decreed that I shall get mostly hard rights from 5, with a couple of almost hards thrown in. So when I get a straight from 5 I am really surprised and usually miss. I've found I do much better when I swing horizontally left to the flight path, then rise and shoot.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
zzt, I recommend the following "theory test" because it clears out so much of the brain-fluff we all accumulate.

At a cooperative club, alone on a trap, set the machine to hard right or left and lock it so every target is about as much the same as Pat-Traps will make them.

Say you chose "hard right," a straightaway from 1 more or less.

Take a chance - aim a little. Start on 1 and just aim right at it, with whatever "under" you have set your gun for, but horizontally shoot right dead nuts _at_ the target.

After of couple of them move to 2 do the same thing, right, directly at, not on front of the target. And on to 3,4, and finally 5.

What I thonk you will find is that, though the breaks got more and more ragged, you didn't start to miss until station 5. At all of the others, you get a break.

This means that "misreading an angle" will not lead to a loss.

Something else is making you miss that target.

1. Find out what that is, and fix it.

2. Attributing it to something else, like "misreading the small angle," will just delay 1.

Neil

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I miss more straight-a-ways than anything else. I think it's because of the 3-hole targets that I shoot! The 2-hole straight-a-ways are much easier to hit.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
zzt,
If you are missing the straight away on # 5, could it be you are a two eyed shooter and you are cross firing? Maybe your left eye is picking up that straightaway and you do not know it. Either that or you are making a faulty move to that straight away as you are concentrating on the hard right and you get startled? Scott

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
The 1st and the 100th target

·
Registered
635 Posts
The one where I move my gun just before I call, lift my head, look back at the front bead, stop and jerk the trigger. After all these years and thousands and thousands of shots I still can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

:-{O

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Neil: I think I get what you're saying but please re-read your post and straighten out the descripition (or just say I'm confused).

Shouldn't it say, "Say you chose "hard right," a straightaway from 1 1/2, a bit of a left from 1"?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scott, two hits. I do not have a dominant eye, and it almost certain that my left eye is seeing the straight, left going target from 5. If I move directly from my left of house hold for 5 to the straight, I'll usually miss. If I remember to move horizontally to the center of the house and trace the flight path form there, I usually hit. It is amazing to me how much time you can take to literally aim at that target and still break it. If it was anything other than a straight, I don't think that would be the case.

548, you must be a leftie.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I bet 40% of my misses are from post 1. I miss the hard left so much i worry about it to where i miss the straitaway from post 1. I am a 2eyed shooter holding a high gun.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
zzt,

As I anxiously await to read the answer you are looking for, I will add just one comment. This is the best thread I've read here in at least a year, but you don't get all the credit just because you started it. What I like about it is the fact that a certain poster is absent! When he types, I ignore...

Happy holidays to all,

Jon Reitz

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
In all seriousness, it's the first shot of the day, especially if it's an easy one. I haven't acclimated to the situation until I shoot one target then all is fine.
It's a better deal if the first target is a difficult one so I just react to it but if it's easy....too much time to think.
Way too many 99's on my scorecard with the only bird missed being the first.
I suspect I'm not alone.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts