Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What is your definition of MINT?

4K views 32 replies 31 participants last post by  sernv99 
#1 ·
What do you expect when you purchase a gun that is listed as MINT condition?

I’ve purchased most of my shotguns through the Internet and I’ve come to realize that MINT has a very different meaning to most of us. All of my purchases have involved emails and phone conversations before the purchase, several emails during the money/shipping phase, with an email and usually a phone call after receiving the purchase. I’ve never been scammed, but even after talking with sellers on the phone, I’ve received items that I’ve felt were far from MINT. I’ve returned several purchases without issue, but I’ve been a little surprised and disappointed by the term MINT used by some sellers.

My definition of MINT: 99% to 99.5% percent in condition, mechanically perfect, no dents in the wood, maybe "very" light surfaces scratches in the finish, but no cracks or chips of any kind. The checkering must be sharp with no missing points. No issues with metal finish, with the exception of some light rub marks on the barrel where the forearm comes contact with the barrel. If someone has a percentage rating on the advertised item, then I’ll ask the seller what imperfections does the gun have that prevent it from being 99%. Basically, I’m looking for the seller to divulge all of the guns imperfections. Believe me I’m not naïve and I’m well aware of the term “Caveat Emptor”, but I don’t expect hear, “You didn’t ask me that specific question” either.

I realize age and rarity can sometimes be a factor when rating a gun, but for this thread, lets keep this to guns less than 40 years old. Also, I’m not looking for comments on my definition of MINT. I’m merely interested in hearing your definition of MINT.

I have purchased several guns from this site and consider this site to be one of the best and safest places to purchase shotguns.

Thanks,

Pat Maurice

See less See more
#4 ·
There are so many variables, such as one's perspective, motivations, ability to see the small details and the list goes on, but you asked for mine. To me, mint means nothing less than perfect, as it left the factory or mint, without flaws of any kind, whether it be firearm or a rare coin. I just think the term "Mint" has been over-used by too many anxious sellers. Again, this is just my opinion.

#5 ·
Perhaps the most abused term throughout American culture. Do you have any idea how many outboards that I've gone to look at that were in "Mint condition" only to find a piece of crap with broken and missing parts? Even more abused in the Automotive world from my experience.

"Mint" should be banned.

#6 ·
Mint to me is like it left the factory. This doesn't necessarily mean 100%, as many guns leave the factory with slight imperfections. I believe companies like Ruger may still test fire their guns so the additional handling may sometimes contribute to these imperfections. I once bought a pair of Vaquero's NIB diect from a wholesaler and noticed barely discernible turn marks on both cylinders. I still have them and consider them NIB but in reality I struggle to call them mint. To me, mint is the same as NIB minus the box and papers and having been fired very little or not at all.

#7 ·
NIB: Unturned cylinder, no sight of handling.

Mint, LNIB: Probably been out of the box few times, no visible use marks.

Excellent, 99%: Known been shot before, but well kept, super clean, no wear outside, only primer mark on breech face.

#10 ·
May have miss used the term in the past mysef according to these definitions. Had no problems luckily. I try and use % or good, ex. cond that type. But WTF is "Minty" ? I laugh at that one. Or for its age, which shouldn't matter. This is a good subject gets everybody on same page.

#11 ·
Its is not unusual for a seller to see something one way and a buyer see it a lot differently ... Happens all the time ...

The 3 rules of selling and buying ...

#1, The way the seller presents and see's an item he is selling ...

#2. The way a buyer see's the exact same item ...

#3. What the item really looks like ...

"Mint" is close to new as far as I am concerned ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

#17 ·
Mint means in perfect condition, as if new.

That means no wear, no scratches, no dents... absolutely nothing to detract from perfect condition. It would be the same condition as if it were taken out of the box for the first time.

If it's not, then it drops to the next level(s).

One of the worst descriptions is "minty". Toothpaste is minty. Guns aren't.

#22 ·
mint just means uncirculated. but mint coins are still gonna drop from the press into a 55 gallon drum: they're gonna get scuffed up. they just haven't been touched by human hands. proof means perfect. absolutely without an imperfection. mint should mean new; minty should mean like new. good luck with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.