Trapshooters Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I would pull the Savage 223/12 guage from the safe, not as pretty as some I have but survival yes, can anyone loan me a little ammo to feed her?
DaveB OH

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
358 win in a bolt gun. 20” barrel with a 1.5-6x42 scope. Handle it all from 10 feet to about 250 yards. View attachment 1740437
358 Win is a great choice. My 1st choice right now is a Browning BLR in 358 Win. Having my Ruger M77 RSI with an 18.5" barrel redone from 22-250 to 358. That may be my new favorite all around gun!!!

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Hunting in the brush and shooting through the brush is two different things.

For survival you need something that you already have a lot of experience using. I would take an M14. If that will not get you out of trouble, you are not going to make it anyway.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nothing will shoot accurately through thick brush. That's a fact. Pick an opening. Then most any caliber or buckshot will work.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Nothing will shoot accurately through thick brush. That's a fact. Pick an opening. Then most any caliber or buckshot will work.
I don’t think of shooting through brush when talking brush guns. I’m thinking of getting through the thick brush without hanging up and maneuvering the gun in close quarters.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are you having that 77RSI re-barreled or re-bored? Mine was a re-bore by JES. It shoots great. Would probably be tough to re-barrel and match the manlicher stock.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Are you having that 77RSI re-barreled or re-bored? Mine was a re-bore by JES. It shoots great. Would probably be tough to re-barrel and match the manlicher stock.
Im leaning towards a JES rebore. Lilja makes a RSI international profile blank. Their a little hesitant on the 358 Win with the profile. Right on the edge of there specs for minimum wall thickness. What caliber did you re-bore to?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Im leaning towards a JES rebore. Lilja makes a RSI international profile blank. Their a little hesitant on the 358 Win with the profile. Right on the edge of there specs for minimum wall thickness. What caliber did you re-bore to?
I went from a 243 to 358. It was a Howa sported contour shortened up to 20”.
Is JES hesitant as well or just Lilja?
My JES out shoots my 2 Lilja most of the time at 100 yards, but every barrel is different.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I went from a 243 to 358. It was a Howa sported contour shortened up to 20”.
Is JES hesitant as well or just Lilja?
My JES out shoots my 2 Lilja most of the time at 100 yards, but every barrel is different.
Barrel length was an issue with most reborers. JES said he has done the 18" Ruger barrels before.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sako l57 rebored to .358 by Jes with a 20" barrel or a Marlin 30TK rebored to .375 winchester. Both very handy and easy to carry in thick cover:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My one and only, bought new back in 1963, a Winchester mod. 88 308 win. with a 3 to 9 Bushnell with a Weaver flip mount. In the brush used open sights. If I came to a clearing I had the option to flip up the scope.
I have my late Dad's Win. Mod.88/.308. Sounds identical to yours. His bought it in 1957 in Cuba while in the Navy!! It was repatriated to the States in the Armory of the U.S.S. INTREPID.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If you had only one firearm to take into the woods to hunt with, what would it be? For a long time, mines would have been a 3030 lever gun. Lately, I favor a single shot 12 gauge because of the versatility of it. You can load the shot for whatever you come across. Although it might limit your range. Modify choke of course. What would be your choice whether survival or only hunting firearm?
My Westernfield (Mossy 500) 12 ga. Pump with 28 in. Choke tube barrel and 24 slug barrel. Simple, not likely to malfunction, and with the right ammo, can be used for almost anything.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

61 - 74 of 74 Posts