Trapshooters Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Perazzi TM1/Perazzi MX8
465 Posts
I have a 348 passed down from my grandfather also ,also a marlin 336 in 35 remington passes down from the other both bought new back in the 50's,the first gun I bought for myself was an 1895 marlin in 45/70 I bought back in the 70's all great brush guns and all still going strong my grandson's will get them someday.. not soon I hope .. Jerry
I also have my Great Grandfathers first year production Model 64 Deer Rifle (Deluxe Carbine) .30WCF. It still wears the original factory supplied sling!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
If I could only have one Gun 12ga Pump or Auto.
With my 1100 Remington Mag and a few extra barrels, I have bagged Pheasants,Quail,Ducks.Hungarian Partridge,Geese,Cottontails Rabbits, Jack Rabbits.Sage Grouse, Praire Chicken,Snipe, Squirrels, Coyotes, Racoons, Possum, Feral Cats,Whitetail Deer,Skunk and a few I should not put in print.
If I could have 2 the second would be a .22LR rifle Marlin 39A
There is nothing in North America you can not kill with a 12ga shotgun and the one Black Bear I have shot I could of bagged it just as well with my shotgun.and it’s dam hard shooting a flying bird with a rifle, besides being unsafe

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you had only one firearm to take into the woods to hunt with, what would it be? For a long time, mines would have been a 3030 lever gun. Lately, I favor a single shot 12 gauge because of the versatility of it. You can load the shot for whatever you come across. Although it might limit your range. Modify choke of course. What would be your choice whether survival or only hunting firearm?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I'd pick my Chiappa Double Badger 22/20 gauge O/U if I was to survive here in Oklahoma. If I was in Alaska or Northern Canada it would be my Winchester Big Bore 94 in their 375 Winchester magnum. If you miss with the Winchester the muzzle blast/percussion shock wave will momentarily stun what ever you were shooting at.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
621 Posts
When I'm in the bush still hunting or pushing for the boy's I pack my model 94 30-30, open sights, fast handling and light to carry, probably never get a shot past 50 yards.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Marlin 336C in a 35 Remington shooting a 200 grain bullet. Perfect gun for hunting in real brushy areas where shots wil be no longer than 75 yeards.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Years ago - back in the 1970s - Pennsylvania outdoor writer Jon R. Sundra conducted an experiment for Shooting Times Magazine during which he tested numerous "brush bucking" cartridges against more streamlined, higher velocity rounds. He built a bunch of "boxes" with layers of wood dowels running both vertically and horizontally through which he shot those rounds at targets beyond the "boxes" to duplicate bullets passing through brush. Spoiler alert - the lighter, faster bullets deflected less!

Ed

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Savage model 24 in .22/410. I carry this gun all the time to the woods even when I’m just taking a walk. It would even be better if it were a .223/20ga.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
375 JDJ in either handgun or rifle. Works for me!

Had I not been broke back in the day, I had the chance at a 38-55 in a model 64 Winchester, that is what I'd be packing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My one and only, bought new back in 1963, a Winchester mod. 88 308 win. with a 3 to 9 Bushnell with a Weaver flip mount. In the brush used open sights. If I came to a clearing I had the option to flip up the scope.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Marlin 45-70 for anything bigger than a coyote, 12 ga for anything smaller. If we're talking about hunting.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Bought one new in 1972..$79.99 on sale. still have it.
Bought mine new at now long since gone Kings Dept. store in 1968 with my lawn mowing money. Had to have my father buy it though, as I was too young. Traded it away years ago.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts