Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
This is such a regional question! Largest animal I may encounter is a whitetail! Not a real aggressive type! So my choice would be to harvest said whitetail. So Rem 1187 12 ga. with the choice of ammo and barrels I had acquired.
But the boating accident in the Nile river a couple yrs ago. I am limited to a slingshot and # 7.5 shot

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,671 Posts
No gun will shoot true through brush. So "it" doesn't exist in reality.
Years ago I read a magazine article that totally backed your post up.
It’s exactly true, and I have tested that on my own..... any and every bullet will deflect a lot with even one thin branch..... even so, my shorter range hammer that I use in timber for Elk or Whitetail, or hogs, is a .338 Win. Mag. If I have to shoot through brush, I don’t shoot, and neither should anyone else.
When most hunters think of “brush” gun, they mean hunting in timber, and not literally shooting through brush, which is less than smart.

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
Like Kahuna, I use a REM 870 18" bbl. 3" chamber loaded with own rolled shells stuffed my way, with my own hard cast buckshot and slugs. Firing order: slug in chamber, then slug, and rest 0 buck.
Aloha

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That soun
It would probably be my 12ga SXS. It’s very capable for most game and I could get by with a pocket full of various shells. With two fixed choke barrels and two triggers, odds are it will function when needed.
That sounds good

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Cz 455 in 22wmr or Henry 45-70. The Henry if I need a "kill anything gun" and the CZ if it's a versatility /survival gun.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ruger 44 carbine. It’s small, easily maneuverable and accurate out to 100 yards. I don’t know why Ruger scraped it. I will never get rid of mine even though they are going for ridiculous prices right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
A Gatling gun in .45-70 would be my choice. After it mowed down the brush it would make an easy kill shot on any game. No caliber gun can shoot through brush, it’s a myth.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
A brush gun does not mean it will mow lawns. It means you are able to get the rifle up quickly and hit something. Hunt in western Oregon to SE Alaska no shot is over 100 yards and the needles and alders are trying to eat you. Open sights and a short barrel are needed. It must be regionally but it has nothing to do with shooting through brush but being to operate your gun in close quarters.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I hunt in Kentucky where the deer woods I hunt are hilly and have a lot of small trees, blackberry vines, green briar and tree trimmings from logging. I usually hunt from a tree stand. I have taken many deer from small bucks to 10 pointers. I have enough wall mounts and the young bucks taste best. I have never taken a doe.

Most of my shots are under 50 yards. My longest shot was about 135 yards and was made with a .35 Remington. I have also taken deer with black powder using a .490 round ball and a .429 240 grain Hornady XTP in a sabot.

My rifles are a Marlin 336 lever gun in .35 Remington, a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 and a Thompson Center .50 cal Hawken with the 48" twist that allows you to use either round ball or a sabot. My scopes are all low power Leupold Vari X II's.

I have taken deer running, trotting and standing broadside and all but two were one shot kills. The two deer that I had to track were with the 30-06.

Where we hunt is hilly and a deer, when hit, will most often run downhill to cover which makes tracking difficult, especially if there is green briar. The .35 Remington 200 grain soft point, properly placed, drops them in their tracks.

I remember my first deer, a 4 pointer, shot in 1989. The deer was shot twice in the heart with my .35 Remington but still managed to stumble about 25 yards and fall into a deep ravine. I needed help to get the deer out so I went back to the small mobile home where the property owner lived. My brother-in-law's dad worked with the property owner's late dad so we had had access to 600 acres of excellent deer woods.

I knocked on the door and the property owner's door, a 20 year old boy, and he answered the door in his underwear. I asked for his help and he said that he would get the tractor. About that time, a sweet young girl wearing a night shirt walked up behind him. She asked him: "You ain't going now are you?" He replied: "How many points as he began pulling on his pants."

The sweet young, long legged girl gave a look of disgust as she walked out of the room. The property owner got the tractor and both of us pulled the deer up out of a ravine and on to a logging road. I don't know what happened when the property owner returned home. We hunted there many years and he always seemed to have a different "roommate" each year.

One of the required features of a brush gun, IMO, is sufficient knock down power to drop a deer in its tracks to avoid a long track and recovery event. My brother-in-law used a 385 grain .50 cal flat point slug in his Hawken and it did a good job.

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
If you had only one firearm to take into the woods to hunt with, what would it be? For a long time, mines would have been a 3030 lever gun. Lately, I favor a single shot 12 gauge because of the versatility of it. You can load the shot for whatever you come across. Although it might limit your range. Modify choke of course. What would be your choice whether survival or only hunting firearm?
A "Brush Gun" for survival and a "Brush Gun" for hunting mean two different answers. Also what has just happened that I am in a survival situation.

For a brush gun related to hunting and presuming deer sized critters, Iam old school, 30-30 or 35 Remington.

For survival because a situation has occured to put me in a situation that I am trying to live through it would be a 22mag/20ga unit. If I couldn't have that gun, one or the other. If I need to move around and travel with purpose then probably the 22mag as ammo is light and doesn't take much space. Fun and games being out in the sticks, single shot 20ga.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
+1 for 870's with chrome shell lifters. With my employee discount, the price to me was around $60.

While I prefer my marlin 336 .35 Remington's for deer, my 870 WingMaster, circa 1965, will fill the bill. It came with a 28" modified plain barrel with which I shot my first clay targets. I met a long legged red head girl at a mixer dance on a Friday night and we had a shooting date the following Saturday morning. She broke her first clay target with it. We will celebrate our 51st wedding anniversary in June. The 870 28" modified plain barrel took an untold number of and rabbits, quail, dove, woodcock, wilson snipe and squirrels before Viet Nam. Over the years, I added an 20" open bore slug barrel with rifle sights for deer, a 26" vent rib improved cylinder for bird hunting and a 16" pure cylinder barrel for rabbit in extreem cover.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts