Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had only one firearm to take into the woods to hunt with, what would it be? For a long time, mines would have been a 3030 lever gun. Lately, I favor a single shot 12 gauge because of the versatility of it. You can load the shot for whatever you come across. Although it might limit your range. Modify choke of course. What would be your choice whether survival or only hunting firearm?

·
Registered
761 Posts
For survival or only hunting firearm, it would have to be a .22 LR bolt action, tube feed, with a quality low power variable scope, and back-up open sights. A brick of 500 22 LR rounds weighs little more than a box of 25 12 gauge 1-1/4 ounce hunting loads. -Ed

·
Registered
102 Posts
It would probably be my 12ga SXS. It’s very capable for most game and I could get by with a pocket full of various shells. With two fixed choke barrels and two triggers, odds are it will function when needed.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I have a Savage 24 .22/410 O/U. It’s pretty versatile. I would love to find Savage .223/.20ga or similar rifle cartridge. It weighs about 6.5lbs. Very light. I think if they would shorten the barrel on these slightly, add some sling studs they would be onto something.

·
Registered
Perazzi TM1/Perazzi MX8
454 Posts
Mod 71 in 348wcf.....
My Grandfather bought one new in the 50's. Serial# dates it to the last year of production. He gave it to me back in 2000. Killed my first whitetail with it. If I had only one choice though it would be my 20ga. With a handful of different ammo it will cover my needs to kill anything from bunnies to moose.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I have a 348 passed down from my grandfather also ,also a marlin 336 in 35 remington passes down from the other both bought new back in the 50's,the first gun I bought for myself was an 1895 marlin in 45/70 I bought back in the 70's all great brush guns and all still going strong my grandson's will get them someday.. not soon I hope .. Jerry

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Your guys definition of a brush gun is a lot different than mine. I am a subscriber to the Church of Elmer Keith, 45/70 all the way. I pack a older Marlin 1895.

Reactions: Jaburg1

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
When I think deer in the brush, I always think short, light with the ability to shoulder and fire fast and quick follow up shots.

Ruger 44 Semi Auto with a low powered scope fills the bill

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
In my part of the country, a .22/20ga. Fills the bill.......a HUNTER will have NO trouble killing deer with the .22 as has been proven over years of practice (by others, of course)....the 20ga is for "backup" with a host of different loads.....had a camper special Savage..good unit with the 20" bbls.......m

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
A drilling. That's the next gun I'm working on. I want a Sauer 16x16/9.3x74R to go with my 16 SxS Sauer.
At the moment, It would be my AR.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I have two Marlin 336 lever guns in .35 Remington and a Marlin 39AS lever gun in .22 S, L, and LR. The 336's each wear a Leupold 2X7 Vari X II scope in Leupold mounts and the 39AS wears a Leupold 4 X Rim Fire Special scope in Weaver mounts. The 336 RC is a 1968 model has taken many a nice deer while the other Marlin is a 336CS is almost new and has never been in the field. If I had to into the wilderness with only one gun, it would have to be the Marlin 39AS, which is like new and has never been in the field, and a 500 round brick of Federal high velocity 40 grain solid points.

I would sure as heck remember where I left my 1968 Marlin 336RC .35 Remington with a good supply of 200 grain Hornady .35 Remington ammo with the polymer spire point bullets.

I would also take plenty of matches, red pepper, small cast iron skillet and my Case skinning knife.

I would also take a roll of toilet paper as using cold, frost covered leaves brings back too many unpleasant memories.

A bottle or two of Rebel Yell bourbon, in case of snake bite, would be a nice addition.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a Winchester 94 Trapper model in 30-30. Perfect for thick underbrush. Short, but comes up quick. Those wild grapes and Woodbine are rough traveling with a longer gun.

·
Banned
16,304 Posts
Sounds like a lot of Texas brushpoppers here.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts