Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
If my memory serves my right, I believe Eclipse, Wanda and Active hulls were all similar in that they didn't have a brass head. Active did have a flat steel ring imbedded in the head and rim for extraction purposes.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I sold Eclipse shells for many years at the Gun Club, and also reloaded them until the factory was shut down and moved to Venezuela. The four color hulls identified the factory load. There were red, orange, green and brown. They were just target loads.

·
Ljutic Nut
2,928 Posts
I shot a ton of the green Eclipse shells back in the early 80's. They were cheap and they broke targets. They were the standard club over the counter shell around here up until they went out of business. A few guys tried to reload them but they were a really a very crappy hull. Starting around 85 or 1986 we started getting Active shells and I loaded a lot of them with good success.

Reactions: Russ-in-Pa

·
Registered
137 Posts
I remember as a kid in the late 80’s some of the guys we deer hunted w used the red active slugs. I remember them being cheap and not extracting very well. I’ve never seen any loaded with shot though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My dad brought home a couple flats of them in the late seventies. Used them on quail worked as good as any other shells. reloaded them after two reloads the primer pockets would loosen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The Eclipse hull was very tapered and would only reload properly with the Eclipse wad.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Looks sort of like an old Active Hull, but has Eclipse wording on it.
Never seen one before.
MG
Had some of them. took a special wad. did not dare shoot in a auto or pump. Would sometimes shoot part of case up into the barrel. Happened to me but i was lucky and caught it. Had a 30 gallon drum of them loaded. shot well. I shot in my o/u and checked barrels after every shot. Save them as conversation piece. Doubt could get wads to load them even if you wanted to.

·
Registered
16,715 Posts
Unlike earlier all plastic hulls, Activ had a steel washer embedded in the base so the extractor in autos wouldn't tear them off.

I loaded quite a few in 12 and 20. They were very large inside, and using their wads was necessary.

HM

·
Premium Member
6,775 Posts
Eclipse shells were loaded for the Eclipse target company in San Fernando Cal. Equipment was sold to a south american outfit.

·
Registered
155 Posts
that was my go to hull for hunting loads still have some of the 20ga actives loaded with 1oz of copper #6s and the 12s with 1 3/8 of copper #5. they feed in the
auto loaders like no other hull.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts