Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Wahtsamoie my friend, just when you thought you heard every derogatory way to describe an idiot you come up with Jake leg. Never heard that one. We in Brooklyn here call dem jerk offs. Joe

·
Registered
56 Posts
I recently posted a question about using mineral spirits (gun smith recommended) and oil verses lightly greasing that area and the block on the barrels.

Please post what you decide to use and show pictures.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I recently posted a question about using mineral spirits (gun smith recommended) and oil verses lightly greasing that area and the block on the barrels.

These are my cleaning and lube products. I had been using the marine grease on the knuckle/forearm iron, but have decided to try the 10w/30 for a while.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would leave it alone and enjoy shooting your shotgun. Use grease or oil and clean it out each time you go to the range.
John

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
You've got super lube in the picture. I don't think you could do much better than that. I know many people that use it for years and had no wear problems pertaining to grease.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I would leave it alone and enjoy shooting your shotgun. Use grease or oil and clean it out each time you go to the range.
John
Yup . . that’s what I’m doing. Was initially concerned that it might be oxidation starting there for some reason, but definitely not, just blueing, so all is good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The older Citoris had ground surfaces. The 725 and newer Citoris have machined surfaces. What you have here is normal wear of the blueing in the areas where the knuckles contact the forearm. This wear would be considered normal because the mating surfaces are not perfectly matched. My 725 shows similar wear and I use STOS grease on mine and clean it after each time I shoot.

·
Registered
489 Posts

Gunsmiths make their living tightening and repairing guns. Think about it.

·
Registered
18,709 Posts
Gunsmiths make their living tightening and repairing guns. Think about it.
Actually gunsmiths “repair” most guns by deep cleaning them. I’ve seen a 75% figure from several sources. But for you to imply that someone would recommend you a practice intended to destroy a high value item says a lot about your character. Or lack thereof.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Actually gunsmiths “repair” most guns by deep cleaning them. I’ve seen a 75% figure from several sources. But for you to imply that someone would recommend you a practice intended to destroy a high value item says a lot about your character. Or lack thereof.
My feeling are hurt, but I will recover. My comment was not directed at all gunsmiths. It was directed at what Sport67 posted about gunsmith recommended mineral spirits and oil to lubricate the hinge area of a break action gun. How in the world does deep cleaning repair a firearm. To me a repair is the fix to something broken. So, when you have someone or change the oil and filters yourself on your automobile you are repairing it? Also where did you get the 75% figure from several sources repair guns by deep cleaning. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
That’s an interesting observation. I wouldn’t think that a mating surface like that would be blued, but all the rest of that part is blued so that surface likely was completely blued when new . . and uneven contact/pressure has worn the blueing completely off some areas and not others. I’ll inspect that possibility before doing anything else.
My whole fore end was left blued. It wasn't quite finished. Jim Eyster fitted a few parts and fixed the trigger. My CXS should never have left the factory that way but if you build enough guns a few will slip through the cracks. Browning stood behind with their warranty.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts