Hesse made 50 BMG by chance?Accident? Is that the correct word to use for unintentional discharge of a weapon?
Worst I witnessed as a kid in high school. Beer and a 22 revolver were present. Buddy I was standing next to got a round through and through in his left side. Was not me that did it, but could have been me that was hit, He lived and did not get medical treatment beyond the antiseptic I poured on entry and exit and covered with a bandaid.
Worst at our club, I did not see, but a big bore shooter fired his rifle from the bench and the bolt flew back and took out his eye, broke and fractured his skull and nearly killed him. Spent weeks in the hospital recovering. Now that was an accident.
We had a trap boy de-cocking the machine one night and thought it was pointed the other way. He took the trap arm in the face. They wired his mouth shut for weeks to save him from losing his teeth at 16 yo. It worked.I shoot with a guy that came around the front of the trap house just in time to catch a bird directly on the forehead. He lives his life with a steel plate in his head now. I tell the club members constantly that the trap house is potentially a very dangerous place and stay clear of the front at all times.
I think there was a guy killed, and several injured.
On Sept, 20 this year, the fraternity inducted a group of young women into the Daughters of Lee, an auxiliary organization. About 100 students were standing 60 feet away when the firing squad loaded the cannon with smokeless powder, tamped it with cloth and pulled the lanyard. It misfired, so they reloaded, doubling the charge.The article i read stated
"The explosion blew out a second-floor window at the nearby University Place apartments and sent an 8-inch piece of iron through the building's roof and the floor of the building's top level. No one was injured."
And for not teaching his son better.A guy that i worked with was showing his older son a old 1911(45) he had. Showed him how to take it apart and clean it. when he got through cleaning it he put the loaded mag back in the well. The father got up and went to the restroom, came back sat down picked up the gun and put the muzzle to his palm and pulled the trigger. Bang, blew a hole through his palm. What he didn't know the son was playin with the gun while he was gone and racked the slide and loaded it.. Father was stupid for doing what he did.
It simply AMAZES me that ANYBODY could be be THAT STUPID ! Loading a cannon with smokeless is dumb enough but the double charge takes the cake !On Sept, 20 this year, the fraternity inducted a group of young women into the Daughters of Lee, an auxiliary organization. About 100 students were standing 60 feet away when the firing squad loaded the cannon with smokeless powder, tamped it with cloth and pulled the lanyard. It misfired, so they reloaded, doubling the charge.
This time it blew up. Randal Crustals caught a six‐inch piece of the barrel in his head. He was taken to the hospital in Rolla and died while being transferred to another hospital In St. Louis County.
Six other kids caught pieces of metal in the abdomen or legs. At last report, they were surviving. It makes a fellow wonder. Life is a hazardous experience that kills us all sooner or later. Any day we get out of bed we can fall down a personhole or be hit by a falling meteorite. But should we encourage kids to go looking for disaster?
It says it was in 1977, I remember it pretty well, I had a bunch of friends in the KA house at MU, went to a lot of the social events, couldn't pledge a fraternity because of team rules.