Trapshooters Forum banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I once traveled to another club to shoot protectors. There where 14 teams on the line, half way threw around station 3 the call bird was shot but his partner went to lower his gun down and fumbled it. He then caught the trigger, shot the concrete at about the 20 yard line. I about dropped down to the ground scared the hell out me, and a few others.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I also witnessed someone put a charge bar in backwards on I believe a mec 600 or a grabber and dropped 1&1/4oz of powder and bushing 29 of lead whatever that equals

·
Registered
469 Posts
In the late 90’s I attended my first and only pot shoot. Never got a chance to shoot as the shooter next to the guy on my left had his gun let go. A piece of metal hit me right next to my eye and I ended up with a small cut that bled pretty good for a couple minutes. Came awful close to my eye but fortunately no real harm done except my lost interest in pot shoots. The amazing part of the story was the fact that the shooter on my left was a huge guy with his gun mounted so how a piece of metal got by him and hit me was really strange although he got hit with a couple of larger pieces. Shooter had a couple cuts but none of us luckily had any real injuries

·
Registered
5 Posts
shooting trap with a y model 12 spring broke ,trigger went solid hit the bolt release pulled back on the forarm and off it went shooting wire from controlbox to traphouse in half .

·
Registered
27 Posts
More of a gun malfunction.....during a trap league while shooting doubles, a guy loaded up an O/U, closed the closed the action and both barrels fired! He blasted the dirt about 6' in front of him. The hammers didn't retract when the action was opened and clipped the primers when the action was closed.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Respectfully to everyone, this is just the kind of summary all the anti gun, anti high school shooting sports people want to see. Some of these stories are likely to appear at anti gun rallies and school board meetings where some people are constantly trying to shut down shooting sports.
I don't want to be rude or critical, but let's not amplify a few bizzare incidents to seem like everyday occurrences on the range.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Photo shows what a 270 does at your feet into concrete. He couldn't find the fifth shell while unloading his rifle, closed the bolt and pulled the trigger. No one hurt but I was about thirty yards DSCN2779.JPG out front, could have been bad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
While expulsion sounds extreme on the surface I believe it is necessary to take a strong stand against those who are not following safe gun handling practices. When people find out that rules will be enforced they are more likely to follow them. I don't enjoy being the hard nosed rule enforcer but I am often referred to as as old, fat, and grumpy so it isn't a far walk for me. Hopefully those who get to know me understand that I am a no nonsense person who just wants the best for anyone involved.
I suspect he was expelled not for simply breaking the rule but for arrogantly and combatively refusing to mend his ways. So, he could never be trusted.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I arrived a little late to the club one day, and the trap chairman wasn't around. As he just about lived there, I asked where he was? "At the hospital, getting his face fixed."
It turned out that the trap machine had screwed up, so he left the trap he was on to go fix it. As the messed up trap was to his immediate left, he went straight there and looked around the corner into the house. There was some question as to whether he had called for a bird to be released, or it released on its own, but the upshot was that as he put his face around the corner of the house, a bird was released straight into his face, doing a number on him.
He returned to the club later that day with a massively swollen face, some beautiful bruises, and quite a few stitches on his face and in his mouth, but with no permanent damage.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Respectfully to everyone, this is just the kind of summary all the anti gun, anti high school shooting sports people want to see. Some of these stories are likely to appear at anti gun rallies and school board meetings where some people are constantly trying to shut down shooting sports.
I don't want to be rude or critical, but let's not amplify a few bizzare incidents to seem like everyday occurrences on the range.
I've seen far more serious injuries at high school basketball, football, softball, baseball and wrestling events than I have ever seen at a shooting range of any kind. Hell, I fractured my hip playing kickball in high school gym class. Even thought I dislocated a shoulder during a 4-H cattle show. Shooting sports aren't any more dangerous than chess club as long as the rules are followed.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I arrived a little late to the club one day, and the trap chairman wasn't around. As he just about lived there, I asked where he was? "At the hospital, getting his face fixed."
It turned out that the trap machine had screwed up, so he left the trap he was on to go fix it. As the messed up trap was to his immediate left, he went straight there and looked around the corner into the house. There was some question as to whether he had called for a bird to be released, or it released on its own, but the upshot was that as he put his face around the corner of the house, a bird was released straight into his face, doing a number on him.
He returned to the club later that day with a massively swollen face, some beautiful bruises, and quite a few stitches on his face and in his mouth, but with no permanent damage.
I had a machine malfunction that needed fixed. It was on a sporting clay course and sat on the ground. As I approached it I reached around to turn it off when the damn thing released. Hit me about 2 inches below the knee cap. It wasn't a shot to the face but dang it hurt. Couldn't imagine getting hit with a clay or trap arm at point blank.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I've seen far more serious injuries at high school basketball, football, softball, baseball and wrestling events than I have ever seen at a shooting range of any kind. Hell, I fractured my hip playing kickball in high school gym class. Even thought I dislocated a shoulder during a 4-H cattle show. Shooting sports aren't any more dangerous than chess club as long as the rules are followed.
John, shooting sports are statically way safer than all the traditional high school sports. The key is to get that information and image out to the public.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I had a machine malfunction that needed fixed. It was on a sporting clay course and sat on the ground. As I approached it I reached around to turn it off when the damn thing released. Hit me about 2 inches below the knee cap. It wasn't a shot to the face but dang it hurt. Couldn't imagine getting hit with a clay or trap arm at point blank.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
That's how Anthony Matarese broke his jaw, hit in the face by a trap arm while working on it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Well I was shot in the back and the back of the head by the ricochet of a shooter not safely handling his release trigger when I shot out of turn. That’ll teach me to pay attention to the shoot order...

But worse than that was me standing on post 5, looking over to post one to see a high schooler adjusting his muffs with his 1100 with stock on the ground, barrel leaning against his chest, action closed on a round, barrel pointing at his face... it did not go off but I can’t get it out of my head...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Experienced trap shooter was putting snap caps in his O/U, pulled the trigger and the gun went off. This was in the clubhouse. muzzle was pointed down but the shot bounced off the concrete floor and wounded several people although not seriously. He was so embarrassed he quit the club. After that no snap caps are allowed.

·
Registered
29,297 Posts
Experienced trap shooter was putting snap caps in his O/U, pulled the trigger and the gun went off. This was in the clubhouse. muzzle was pointed down but the shot bounced off the concrete floor and wounded several people although not seriously. He was so embarrassed he quit the club. After that no snap caps are allowed.
Our club prohibits all long guns inside the club house and handguns must be holstered or boxed.

Reactions: John Jr

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
No accident but it could have very easily been one.......Brother and I (14 and 16) )wanted to go Pheasant hunting and needed another gun so we ask our Uncle if we could use his 97 Winchester.. He warned us that sometimes it would go off while pumping the shells out when emptying the magazine. When we were done in one field we went to the car and I had the 97 pointed between the front seats and my brother was on the other side unloading his gun. I pulled the forearm back and stopped remembering what my Uncle said, pulled the gun out of the car and pointed it toward the other side of the road pushed the forearm forward and it went off. So easy to have a brain fart that would turn into a life time of regret.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
We had an older gentleman that was shooting at our club. He would rest his loaded Model 1100 against his chest and fool with the gun , also had a release trigger. Our trap club president politely told him he couldn't shoot at our club anymore. Sad, but he was a danger to himself and to others.
I'm sure some feel I'm an asshole, and I can be, but when I see unsafe gun handling, I try to politely and discreetly get it corrected. Usually works.

81 - 100 of 138 Posts