Trapshooters Forum banner

61 - 80 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I was not there but one of our club members was and told of an elderly male shooter at the 1984 Montana State Shoot in Helena. He was shooting a Ljutic with a release and after multiple broken targets he rested the bbl on his shoe...and let go the trigger. Blew a 12 ga hole in his shoe and foot. Our member who happened to be a trauma surgeon kicked into doctor mode and treated him there and rode in the ambulance with the gentleman. Someone fetched him and he shot on a later squad. I saw the shooter a couple years later in Great Falls. Still shooting and walking pretty good too.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I was talking with a good friend of mine at our yearly club shoot where they were shooting wobble trap, and 2 shots were allowed at a single target. Older guy finished shooting a round and walked off the line, closed his gun and pulled the trigger twice on his 3200 to release the hammers...he only shot one shell at his last target and blew a hole in the ground directly between me and my buddy’s feet. I was shaken needless to say, walked back to my car and had a clump of sod in my shooting vest pocket! That’s the closest I’ve come to getting hurt, the shot that hit the ground couldn’t have been more than a foot or two from me and my buddy’s toes.

Hopefully that’s as close as I ever come to a negligent discharge with the barrel not pointed down range (I’ve seen plenty of those).

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Just with in the past 3 weeks l have seen 2. Finishing up summer league, sitting at clubhouse watching other teams shoot their rounds so we can get to ours. See a guy with with a big straw hat, shoot his 870 field gun, eject the empty, reload, close action, and place his firearm in the cradle carry position!!!
Being a guest and not a member, l quickly inform my team mate who is a member and RO, he quickly and quietly informs the gentleman of his error of ways. To which he replied he always carries that way. The gun is in front and over everyone. He is informed to correct it or leave now. He corrected it and was not seen again.
2nd one, same trap club, different night. Watched a squad shooting, noticed a gentleman fire his 1100, place fresh round in chamber, place barrel on concrete. 3 shooters prior to him, as the shooter fires, guy fingers the release button with barrel on concrete. RO speaks to him and shooter states he has never had an issue with it before. Was told to correct it. I saw him following week, good to go.

Reactions: John Jr

·
Registered
805 Posts
I used to shoot at a state range near me but saw too many holes blown in the ground around the pads. Back in the 60’s a friend was shooting trap and heard an odd report. He looked over to see at set of barrels from an old Damascus sxs twirling through the air. That gentleman left in an ambulance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Older, well educated professional guy who had been shooting trap since the late sixties, walked into the clubhouse after done shooting puts a snap cap into the barrel and pulls the trigger. It wasn't a snap cap and blew a hole into the aluminium ceiling!

Luckly, gun safety habit protected others from getting hurt when someone had a concentration lapse.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The closest accident that I stopped happened in 2015. It was the end of the season and the last available registered targets of the year and I was 50 birds short of 150,000. So I decided to go to a local club in late October and shoot a round of doubles to get the targets and not have to deal with it in the following year on the first registered shoot of the season.

I was on my last post of the first 50 on a squad of all new shooters except one that I knew not well for several years. He was on the post before me and called a pair and had what I would call a "fizzer" shell. He opened his K80 and reloaded the gun. I turned around in time to see him with his gun mounted and ready to call and I yelled his name for all I was worth. He brought down the gun and opened it and I asked him did you check the barrel. He said yes and it is fine. He removed the shell from the top barrel and looked but didn't check the bottom barrel. I told him to check the bottom barrel and low and behold there was a wad stuck in the barrel. He got a rod and pushed it out and shot his last pair.

When I finished my next and last pair the round was over and I turned around to walk off and shoot management was standing there with a camera to take my picture for my 150,000 PITA registered target. They said Thank You very much for stopping a disaster in the making and I told them no problem. They didn't want to have a gun blow up at there gun club and were surprised that he didn't check the barrel. I told him I was shocked also as he had shot for years but wasn't that in tune with what could happen obviously.

PD

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Thankfully I have not witnessed any accidents on a range or hunting.

I have left areas where I saw, what I consider, reckless handling of guns. Don't practice safe handling of weapons 100% of the time - I'm outta there.

·
Registered
719 Posts
A set of barrels flying through the air because they were Damascus ? No way. I shoot Damascus barreled SxSs three times a week. I own a dozen Damascus barreled SxSs, and in 16 years of shooting many different Damascus barreled guns have never had a problem. Something was lodged in the barrels and any gun would probably blow up. Sherman Bell tried to blow up 20 Damascus " wall hangers " and none of them blew with Remington proof loads [ 18,500psi ]. He finaly got to 30,000psi with a Parker before it finally let go. Maybe a piece of Damascus flew by your friend because of something in the barrels, but not the whole set of barrels.

·
Registered
805 Posts
A set of barrels flying through the air because they were Damascus ? No way. I shoot Damascus barreled SxSs three times a week. I own a dozen Damascus barreled SxSs, and in 16 years of shooting many different Damascus barreled guns have never had a problem. Something was lodged in the barrels and any gun would probably blow up. Sherman Bell tried to blow up 20 Damascus " wall hangers " and none of them blew with Remington proof loads [ 18,500psi ]. He finaly got to 30,000psi with a Parker before it finally let go. Maybe a piece of Damascus flew by your friend because of something in the barrels, but not the whole set of barrels.
I never said it was because they were Damascus, I’m very familiar with it and have owned two and know just how strong they are. Maybe there was something in the barrel, probably likely, who knows. But the barrels were still twirling in the air. And I’m aware of what Sherman Bell did but Damascus barrels are more likely at this day and age to fail due to being bored to thin or having internal rusting within the walls.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Awhile back, an older gent shows up at our club that is member/public. I don't recognise him, so I don't know what his status or experience is.

I give him the range rules verbally and off he goes. The rule about (1) one in the gun, unless your shooting doubles is the problem rule. A few minutes I see he is on a singles trap, but is calling for birds way too fast to have one shell loaded. I watch... yup, three in the semi auto. Off I go... maybe he missed the rule, maybe I wasn't clear, who knows. I advise him once again.

Now, you'd think Mr. DA would be smart enough to know I'm watching... wouldn't ya?? Yup same thing repeats all over. So, I go down there again. This time I was less pleasant. If he had asked about wanting to cycle loads through the semi, we could have had a mutual understanding. Had he wanted to check gun function, I've had said OK. Because we now have the same expectation. I advised him to "pack your and get off the property. You can do it of your own accord or you can leave with NJSP assistance... makes no difference to me."

We didn't have an accident because of due diligence... I didn't let it slide or take no for an answer. I've never seen him again, and I'm not really missing him.

·
Registered
54 Posts
About a year ago, I was shooting trap with my early model Remington Model 11. I believe the receiver on it dates back to 1909 at the latest. I’ve owned it since 1963 and was my “go to” shotgun in high school and college. My son-in-law used it a lot for water fowl in the late 1980s. I use it now once a year for trap just for sentimental reasons.

Last year I was on station 1 for my first round. After my 4th shot, I reloaded a shell in the chamber, pushed the release bottom with my right hand (I’m right handed) while holding the gun with my left hand on the forestock. My right fingers weren’t near the trigger. When the action slammed shut, THE GUN FIRED!!!! It scared me to death. I had to let what happened sink in. I then asked my puller what happened. He said, “It fired when you closed the action.”

THANKFULLY, the gun was pointing down range when it discharged!! I took the gun to my gunsmith who said the firing pin spring was “collapsed,” and that caused the accidental discharge.

This demonstrates that all safety rules are to be followed religiously all of the time. Don’t cover anyone with the barrel even if the gun is unloaded, the action is open, and the safety is engaged. I was reprimanded for doing just that about 10 years ago. It was a valuable lesson and I’ve heeded that warning ever since.

Although I wasn’t negligent in this instance, If the truth be known, we all, on rare occasions, do negligent things because we are human. That’s why with shooting there is no such thing as overkill in following all safety rules. Redundancy is good.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Best friends Dave and James walked out to shoot a couple practice rounds. Moments later James came running into the club house yelling for a doctor. Seems Dave forgot to put his earplugs in and rested his 1187 on his toe while he put them in. Picked up the gun by the trigger and lost his two smallest toes. Now they never talk and rarely even look at each other, seems James is lack toes intolerant

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I was shooting at a 'backwoods" sportsman's club in Kentucky that had a clubhouse that could sell beer in a dry county, a lake and a one trap field. The club usually shot turkey (games) on Sunday afternoons for money and meat prizes. The trap machine was an old Winchester hand set trap. Long story short, the trap malfunctioned with the arm cocked and the trap boy came out of the house. The trap chairman, who had a beer or two in him, went into the trap house and crawled on top of the trap without realizing that it was cocked.

The trap released and the arm hit the trap chairman in the face and broke his nose. he trap chairman was knocked for a loop and was bleeding badly. The trap chairman's wife, who happened to be a registered nurse, put several cold towels on his face. She then drove him to a nearby hospital. .

The trap chairman recovered and admitted that drinking and servicing a trap machine don't mix.

The club to which I belong has a strict no alcohol policy.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
30 years or so ago at an ATA shoot I was shooting lead off. After the formalities of checking squad, calling for a free one, etc, I mounted gun, finger on trigger and prepared to call for target. I hold a low gun and just as I was about to say pull the trap person stuck his head out if the left side of the house and that's all I could see over my bead. I raised my gun ASAP, unloaded and proceeded to give the young man a "lecture" about using the flag provided before coming out. After this I was quite shaken and it actually took me some time to get comfortable on station 1 with my usual hold point as I could always see that kids face!!! I think of what could have happened and we were very lucky!!!

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
You name it, I've seen it, and that includes someone getting shot!!!!

The older I get, the more careful I become about who I shoot with.

More than once, I've retreated to the relative safety of the clubhouse.

I use the term "relative" because one day, a guy fired off a shotgun in the clubhouse into the concrete floor, and the ricochet barely missed another person sitting in there!!!!!!!

Good Luck, Good Shooting AND STAY SAFE!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was shooting a .460 Magnum revolver at my local club one evening when the forcing cone decided to give out and blew off the left half of the forcing cone and part of the frame. The parts blown off embedded themselves in the wall of the booth I was shooting in. Luckily no one got hurt but it was still nerve-wracking. I quit shooting for the day. S&W's response was "Looks like a lot of hot loads have been shot in this gun." DUH Its a .460 Magnum not a .22LR!

·
Registered
805 Posts
I was shooting a .460 Magnum revolver at my local club one evening when the forcing cone decided to give out and blew off the left half of the forcing cone and part of the frame. The parts blown off embedded themselves in the wall of the booth I was shooting in. Luckily no one got hurt but it was still nerve-wracking. I quit shooting for the day. S&W's response was "Looks like a lot of hot loads have been shot in this gun." DUH Its a .460 Magnum not a .22LR!
You would think a gun like that could handle endless hot loads. Could you even load it to dangerous proportions? I’ve never loaded pistol ammo but who could stand a lot of hot loads through a gun like that anyway? I’d have argued that one to the bitter end.

·
Registered
29,295 Posts
I seem to remember owners manuals saying don’t feed your firearm a constant diet of hot loads. Even if the gun is designed to handle high pressure loads, why use them exclusively? A less than maximum load allows a person to practice and punch holes in paper. I have and have had all sorts of magnum firearms. I only used magnum loads to sight in, hunt with and carry for self defense. All the other time? No need for magnum loads.

Reactions: John Jr
61 - 80 of 138 Posts