Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 21 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all are aware that shooting sports have the potential of someone being seriously hurt. At the local club I have seen a 1100 Remington action fail, some have had what appeared to be a double powder charge, shot trap houses, shot voice release cords, all the way to minor trips and falls all of which we have tried to address so there are no future occurrences. So lends the question what have you seen?

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Release triggers at annie shoots, someone unmounting their gun and not breaking it open. He relaxed to much and shot the ground about a foot away from his foot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I kid walked into the clubhouse at our local club with a jammed gun. Nobody was hurt, but a serious screwup none the less.

·
Administrator
8,272 Posts
Ultimately when we discuss these types of things the vast majority if not all are not accidents they are the result of negligence and not paying attention basic firearms safety.

Recently....the guy who loads three shells into his 870 jacks one in the action and proceeds to walk on the club house porch with shooters everywhere. Direct violation of multiple club gun safety rules...so when approached and told to get his firearm point down range and in a safe direction he tells the range officer to basically stick it as he hunts this way all the time.......guess what ?? Membership revoked...no more league....no more hanging with your buddies at the clay target club where you think rules only apply to others and that you are above the rules...that is where bad stuff really starts to happen.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I have seen the trap house shot a couple of times by guys using release triggers and having a momentary lapse of concentration. Thankfully nothing more serious than that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Many years back, I was at the local pistol range. A gent had just picked up a beautiful factory engraved Colt 1911.
He loaded it, and before anyone could stop him he held up the gun with the rear of the slide about an inch from his face and pulled the trigger. It looked like someone had hit him in the cheekbone with a claw hammer.

Another time, at the rifle range, a gent came to ask me if I was having any issues with the Yugoslavian .303 ammo I was firing. I had quite a few different Enfields, and replied that I was seeing a bit of vertical stringing, but that could be my poor breath control. He showed me a case, split from the mouth to the rim, and said every one was doing this.

I went over to his area, to see what was happening. he picked up a rifle, took a round and put it in the chamber, and couldn't quite get the bolt to close. So, he had a small plastic faced hammer, and gives the bolt handle a couple raps. He fires it, and sure enough, split.

I ask, "Who told you this is a .303?" He says the guy he bought it from at a bar. I told him that as best as I can tell, it was a French Lebel rifle. Now, who knows what happens to old guns, maybe somebody rechambered it or something. But, I showed him the fired cartridge next to a new one, and how the shoulder was blown forward at least .150", and the neck was bigger by far. I explain how dangerous it is to have this happen.

I told him, since he didn't know me from Adam, to head into the clubhouse to have the smith do a "Field Headspace" check, which they would do for free.

Up to this point, the gent was ignorant. I am ignorant about plenty of things. I can understand ignorance.

He came back and gushes that I was right. He then announces he may as well finish the 1/2 dozen rounds he has left.

You can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I personally put a hole in the ground about 1 foot from my toes. Not a release trigger, not even due to personal negligence. But instead because the firearm malfunctioned, I didn't touch the trigger and even had the safety on. Luckily had the muzzle in a safe direction.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Hmmm. Thats gotta be Large Marge, for sure.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ultimately when we discuss these types of things the vast majority if not all are not accidents they are the result of negligence and not paying attention basic firearms safety.

Recently....the guy who loads three shells into his 870 jacks one in the action and proceeds to walk on the club house porch with shooters everywhere. Direct violation of multiple club gun safety rules...so when approached and told to get his firearm point down range and in a safe direction he tells the range officer to basically stick it as he hunts this way all the time.......guess what ?? Membership revoked...no more league....no more hanging with your buddies at the clay target club where you think rules only apply to others and that you are above the rules...that is where bad stuff really starts to happen.
While expulsion sounds extreme on the surface I believe it is necessary to take a strong stand against those who are not following safe gun handling practices. When people find out that rules will be enforced they are more likely to follow them. I don't enjoy being the hard nosed rule enforcer but I am often referred to as as old, fat, and grumpy so it isn't a far walk for me. Hopefully those who get to know me understand that I am a no nonsense person who just wants the best for anyone involved.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Also, at the club I used to work at, there was a gentleman who, while trying to unjam his pistol, shot himself through the hand. As well as a uncle nephew pair that, again while trying unjam their pistol, the nephew shot his uncle through the thigh. Both men were alright but it makes you wonder how easily it could have gotten worse.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've seen a few break open guns and semi autos fire into the dirt when they were being closed. Our club trap house has pellet dents in the rear from a few shots.

·
Administrator
8,272 Posts
While expulsion sounds extreme on the surface I believe it is necessary to take a strong stand against those who are not following safe gun handling practices. When people find out that rules will be enforced they are more likely to follow them. I don't enjoy being the hard nosed rule enforcer but I am often referred to as as old, fat, and grumpy so it isn't a far walk for me. Hopefully those who get to know me understand that I am a no nonsense person who just wants the best for anyone involved.
Look at it this way, the safety rules are on a huge sign when you walk down the walkway of the club. They are also posted on the inside of the club house. SO when the RO brings this to your attention and that you need to safely un load your firearm till you are on the trap and said person basically tells the RO to get bent.........that is a non starter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've seen a few break open guns and semi autos fire into the dirt when they were being closed. Our club trap house has pellet dents in the rear from a few shots.
This has happened at our club but what concerns me more are the semi automatics that are closed while testing on the muzzle pad or resting on it when the action is closed.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
This was years ago , but once after the last event of the day I accidently bumped a just opened bottle of beer off the tailgate of my truck which broke on the asphalt parking lot . I nearly cried......

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
This was years ago , but once after the last event of the day I accidently bumped a just opened bottle of beer off the tailgate of my truck which broke on the asphalt parking lot . I nearly cried......

Oh the horror! :LOL:

·
Registered
11,396 Posts
Never seen anything particularly bad. Once I saw a kid, wearing no eye protection (and dad watching from a few yards away) have a double charge reload that jammed his semi-auto full open.

I mentioned to dad that this is exactly the reason he should be wearing eye protection. It was ignored.

Saw this one at my club last week. Looks about the size of a 12 gauge pattern at about 3-4 inches from the muzzle. Apparently, nobody was harmed.

Reactions: KS-OKIE and John Jr

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
One winter, a new shooter was shooting a practice round with four of his buddies. Instead of using shooting gloves he was shooting with big so called milkman gloves.

During the round the trap ran out of targets and the trap boy went inside the house and refilled the trap machine and while waiting for the round to start up again this guy placed the barrel of his gun on top of his boot and was leaning on the gun.

When the trap boy came back to his seat his glove caught the trigger and blew a hole into his boot and blew off two or three toes. He was helped inside the gun club and a ambulance was called. Not one spot of blood could be seen as the heat actually cauterized the wound.

Another time, an elderly man tried trapshooting and he walked from one station to the next and I told him he needs to have the chamber open because a shell could be in the gun.

He assured me no shell was in the chamber and as he was handing me the gun to double check it he pulled the trigger and the gun went off around a foot to my right.

He was visibly shaken by this (so was I) and I helped him get to his car and he went home.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The worst I've seen was a hangfire. I was acting as RSO for the day as we were the only 2 there. He pulled the trigger...click...nothing.

He started to pull the gun down and I told him not to and to keep the muzzle downrange. About as soon as I finished saying that boom the round cooked off. Luckily, it went downrange where it was supposed to and no one got hurt. It could have been worse. That's the first and only time I've seen that happen.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The worst I've seen was a hangfire. I was acting as RSO for the day as we were the only 2 there. He pulled the trigger...click...nothing.

He started to pull the gun down and I told him not to and to keep the muzzle downrange. About as soon as I finished saying that boom the round cooked off. Luckily, it went downrange where it was supposed to and no one got hurt. It could have been worse. That's the first and only time I've seen that happen.
I have always been told about this but have never seen it. This could be one of the most dangers things beyond our immediate control.

1 - 21 of 110 Posts